LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar picks and practicing with a metronome  (Read 968 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Guitar picks and practicing with a metronome
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
Hi guys. I finally started playing with a heavy guitar pick, a 1.00 mm guitar pick. I like how it sounds when playing the guitar. I had tried a heavier guitar pick than that one. I think it was a 1.14 mm guitar pick. I didn't like how that sounded, so I stuck with the 1.00 mm guitar pick. But my main point is that I finally had to loosen the grip of me holding the guitar pick when trying to play the guitar. Now it took me a while to get rid of the death grip, because when I would have a solid grip on the pick; and when I grip the guitar pick tight (pressing firmly with my thumb down on the guitar pick while holding the pick) and when playing a series of notes I noticed that the attack of the pick on the strings were too loud. But now I had to get used to playing with a heavier pick and getting rid of the death grip and just play very softly and gently as much as I can; and not picking so hard and loud. But the thing about this idea is that the heavy pick I use makes up for a lack of me not having such a death grip on the guitar pick. I had to not press down so firmly with my thumb on guitar pick.

But now that have this technique down, what rhythm counts should I be learning when practicing with a metronome. Such as eight notes, quarter notes, etc....???

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Guitar picks and practicing with a metronome
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
all of them. start slow, work up. be sure you are playing precisely on beat and in time before going faster. sloppy practice = sloppy playing.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: Guitar picks and practicing with a metronome
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »
To update you guys on my status, I don't know if anyone noticed but man getting grid of the death grip I'm now able to play faster and on time when playing licks over chords. I remember when I could never play something without all the means while messing up because I had a death grip so tightly on the pick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up