LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Software/ Interface  (Read 1194 times)

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

Recording Software/ Interface
« on: February 17, 2014, 06:24:19 AM »
I'm looking to start recoding myself practicing plus looking for a way to do some session work for friends that want some guitar for their songs. Are there any affordable interfaces and software out there that are decent? I have been looking at the Prso us package, I'm just not sure if I will wat something more in a year or will this keep me good for a while. I'm not considering going Mac so no suggestions on Apple products...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: Recording Software/ Interface
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:38:08 AM »
I can only speak on the few products I know, the main one being ProTools. It's not the cheapest, but it's one of the most powerful recording/editing/mixing DAWs on the planet and well worth the cost if you're considering doing anything pro level.
Another alternative is Nuendo or it's less-powerful/cheaper brother Cubase. Both have been around for years and would be considered good quality software, especially Nuendo.
All of the above can run on Windows or Apple and can function with a variety of interfaces (too many to mention), but one of the most important aspects of any recording system is the hard drive. I've never had any good results on anything less than a FireWire interface (no usb 2...usb 3, I don't know) and a 7200rpm drive. I've used usb 2 drives, but they start to gag when the track count and plug-ins increase.

There are tons of software/interface packages out there and many are cheap, but I can't speak to their quality nor longevity.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline bill m

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:12:31 PM »
 Sorry to bust in on your thread But couldn't resist. My name is Bill and I have come in and out of here for a couple of years I guess. The Focusrite Scarlett studio or the Presonus Audiobox studio will get you going for not too much cash. The Focusrite comes with Cubase LE6 software and Presonus comes with Studio One software. Both are lite versions and can be upgraded.Your computer and hard drives are crucial if you get into anything serious. I have used an earlier 8 channel Presonus without too much trouble for years. I have worked with Cubase and Reason the most but have messed around with ProTools. I like them all.

Offline Cwadroon

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:39:54 PM »
I have had a few interfaces, and have been a cubase user for 15 years. Any of those interfaces listed will get you going. You should also consider a condensor mic a dynamic mic and a mic preamp(usually included in an interface) to mic up your amp.  I wouldnt recommend nuendo for stereo audio recording only, you would be paying way more for 5.1 and video options that would simply be a waste of your money as cubase has the same audio engines (at least it did when I tested it a few years ago). Also you can get great results with decent a usb interface, I would recommend buying one with cubase included as bill said, it may be called an "le" (light edition) but it will have everything you need and the manufacturers that include the software have calibrated the interfaces with cubase to prevent any issues. Hope my 2 cents helps you out trackman! Tascam also make nice fair priced interfaces.

Offline Cwadroon

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:20:01 AM »
I figured I'd track a little in Cubase for you to listen to if you're interested trackman.. (excuse the bumbling fingers haha its late and I made up this song in about two minutes).
All "cheap" equipment on this recording.

Ibanez artcore as53 guitar (300.00 new)
Tascam us-144mkii usb interface (168.00 new)
Presonus studio channel (think about 300.00 new)
Tracked in Cubase le4 (free with interface)
Pre-recorded drums

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »
I figured I'd track a little in Cubase for you to listen to if you're interested trackman.. (excuse the bumbling fingers haha its late and I made up this song in about two minutes).
All "cheap" equipment on this recording.

Ibanez artcore as53 guitar (300.00 new)
Tascam us-144mkii usb interface (168.00 new)
Presonus studio channel (think about 300.00 new)
Tracked in Cubase le4 (free with interface)
Pre-recorded drums

Nice! Sounds pretty good for the "cheap stuff"...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...
Pages: [1]   Go Up