LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone use practice amps?  (Read 2097 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Does anyone use practice amps?
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Hi guys. I was wondering does anyone use practice amps when they're practicing at home? I can say for me that I haven't use a practice amp as of lately. But I did notice that I can play a lot cleaner and I can hear notes much better. Other than that I haven't practice with one. Or is it better to practice with or without one? Your thoughts?

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

Re: Does anyone use practice amps?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
I've been looking into portable battery operated practice amps (the kind you can walk around with around your neck or something), cuz that would be very handy whether I'm at home or out and about. My "main" amp is just a 1x12 so it's not that big anyway. I prefer to practice through that than through my little amp.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
IMO, a practice amp is great tool to have at your disposal.  Some of them are quite flexible and can even be gigged with under some circumstances.  I play through a Fender Super Champ XD which has recently been replaced in their catalogue by the Super Champ X2.  It's 1x10 of a hybrid digital/tube amp and features a handy line out making it suitable for playing out at church. 
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
I use my main amp (Fender Mustang V) as my practice. I leave my 412 cabinet at church and take the head home and I either use headphones or connect it to my 212 combo.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
I use any of my three amps as a practice amp at home. I just turn them down to respectable levels and play away.
I do have a Line 6 Pocket POD that I use to run direct once in a while, but that thing collects dust more than it gets played.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline bill m

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
I use them and I like them!

Offline bill m

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
I should add one is a Marshall Lead 12. The other is an Epiphone 10 watt Galaxy. I should also say I like your post.You come up with interesting subjects.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »
I'm looking at getting a small Marshall tube amp or a Blues Jr. as a practice/semi-gigging amp now.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »
I practice without an amp on electric watching tv and when I want sound I pull out the acoustic.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
Guys I can stand here and proclaim that practicing without an amp is the way to go. As a result of not practicing without an amp, I noticed that my picking hand has gotten way faster than before when playing chromatics and scales. I've watched how my picking hand has steadily increased over a 2 week period, and that's when I noticed the change.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
Guys I can stand here and proclaim that practicing without an amp is the way to go. As a result of not practicing without an amp, I noticed that my picking hand has gotten way faster than before when playing chromatics and scales. I've watched how my picking hand has steadily increased over a 2 week period, and that's when I noticed the change.

So you mean to tell me that your picking hand has increased and is now larger than your fretting hand?  You've become a............fiddler crab  :o 
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
I should add one is a Marshall Lead 12.

Those are cool amps. I just sold a Lead 12 mini-stack a few weeks ago and it does the classic Marshall sound, for sure.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline bill m

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
I just purchased a Electro Harmonix 22 caliber amp head. Ever heard or used one in person?
If it works out I may use it at church if it cleans up enough.
Thanks

Offline A914Man

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 08:05:57 PM »
Shortly after moving to worship guitar (from rock band), I abandoned a traditional guitar amp for an all in one multi effect pedal that I use with a small PA head and a heavy duty stage monitor with a horn and a 15" (Peavey SP115M) .  It's great at home with head phones.  I do use my old 65 watt combo in the rehearsal room.  My son is now playing keys, so he uses one side of the PA and a SP115M too, and that's plenty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up