LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar straps?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Guitar straps?
« on: January 26, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
Hi guys. I was wondering do you guys play with or with out a guitar strap? And what kind you prefer? And do you seriously need one?

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

Re: Guitar straps?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »
I play with a strap. Sitting or standing usually because I go between the two positions so often during one service, I don't have time to switch.

I use primarily a Levy's Distressed Cotton Strap w/leather ends...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
Always with a strap.  I don't really have a particular preference, but I had a Comfort Strap once that was pretty nice.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
That's strange everyone plays with a strap but me. :-[ I guess I'll have to get one

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »
That's strange everyone plays with a strap but me. :-[ I guess I'll have to get one

That could be the answer to your feedback question too. Stand up!  ;D
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »
That could be the answer to your feedback question too. Stand up!  ;D

lol!  ;D

How much does a regular black strap at the music store cost these days?

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
you can get them for $5, but I doubt that you'll fing them very comfortable... :-X

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
I always play with a strap, whether sitting or standing, to keep the guitar in position. Actually, an electric guitar/bass without a strap is a pet-peeve of mine, haha.

If you go the $5 route (I did) just make sure you buy a strap with durable tabs. Don't buy the ones with that material that you might find on a cheap belt or something, two skinny little pieces of synthetic material glued together. Those will fall apart. Go for strong thick durable leather for the ends, at least.
There's a brand they sell at the pawnshops where I live called "Fort Bryan" which, while the straps are not a fancy super comfortable material (they are nylon. It works for me), the ends are a good thick strong leather (I think? I looked it up, and the description says leather) and will not break on you like other cheap straps with the thin synthetic looking tabs.

As my main concern when I bought them was durability and expense, not comfort. I haven't yet gotten to the point where I need to change them out yet :P

If you're just looking for something inexpensive that won't break down on you, this is it.

But you probably want to go a bit more high-end. Throw it over your shoulder and see what feels comfortable and looks durable.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »
I always use a guitar strap and use a variety of brand and styles, but they're normally thin and lightweight...some kind of nylon or cloth.
And I always use Schaller strap locks on the ends. Always.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline A914Man

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »
My 16 year old nice wide Levy's padded leather strap has aged like a favorite leather jacket, oh and with Dunlop straplocks too.  I think I paid $35 back then, and it's like an old friend.

Offline bill m

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
I have no idea what "type" it is but it is leather and I use Dunlop strap locks. I like the Schaller locks that came standard with my Fenders but they have let loose on me a couple of times. Maybe I installed them wrong or I'm some kind of idiot and can't work a strap lock anymore anyways I have about 40.00 bucks maybe in the whole thing. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up