LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced Music Theory Modal Progressions  (Read 2469 times)

Offline minofmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The annointing makes the difference!
    • Hill Top Productions, Inc.

Advanced Music Theory Modal Progressions
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »
Hello Everyone can we start a discussion about Modes and progressions in those modes. for example if we were to take the dorian mode in the key of C how would we build modal progressions from the dorian mode is the the same concept as 1-4-5, 7-3-6 or do special  rules apply. Please help me out with this

C Scale
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

Dorian Mode of C
D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D
May The Work I've Done Speak for Me.

Offline Cwadroon

• LGM Member

Re: Advanced Music Theory Modal Progressions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
Maybr this will help?  http://www.jamplay.com/articles/5-guides/62-writing-modal-chord-progressions 

Im no theory master, but i have done a little studying on modes (interesting fact : the original greek mode names were mis-translated in the church modes and they are actually named wrong LOL) my understanding is that the notes youve put as "dorian mode of c) are in fact "d dorian" or "dorian mode of d" but I would wait for a more definate answer. I have some graphs I made that really helped me understand the enharmonic relationships between the modes and major and minor scales. I will see if I can dig them up.

iluvjazz7

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 03:12:41 AM »
Minofmusic is right. D dorian is born out of C major or you can say the relative major of D dorian is C major. Therefore you can use the same key signature of C Major (Ionian) and D dorian. Otherwords  No sharps or no flats.  Dorian mode is located on the 2nd step through the 9th step or degree of any major scale. The 9th degree of the major scale will be the octave of the 2nd degree.  Example.

C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C, D
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

D TO D,  but keep playing C major but start on the 2nd degree of it and end up on the 9th of the C major scale and you will hear dorian. By starting on the 2nd degree, the half steps will shift for dorian automatically.

D, E, F, G, A, B, C, D now lets renumber dorian so it will show half steps for dorian between 2 & 3 (E,F) and 6 & 7 (B,C)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8     
Notice half steps for the major scale is between 3 & 4 and 7 & 8 (Still E,F and B,C) same notes but  different degrees since they are renumbered or start differently.

You will get it.

G dorian is born a whole step back out of F major
E dorian is born a whole step back out of D major
A dorian is born a whole step back out of G major
B dorian is born a whole step back out of A major
C dorian is born a whole step back out of Bb Major
D dorian is born a whole step back out of C Major
F Dorian is born a whole step back out of Eb Major

Etcetera

Good Luck! :)

Offline Cwadroon

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:51:28 PM »
Thanks for the explanation iluvjazz7! (Sorry to thread jack minofmusic, but I'd like to understand more as well)
This is where I get lost... in translation with theory haha. So you could call this mode either D Dorian or Dorian mode of C  because of the way its taught in modern theory. Historically the modes are older then the major scale . Really interesting stuff.

D Major=DEF#GABC#
Scale degree1-2-3-4-5-6-7

D Dorian(Dorian mode of D?)=DEFGABC
1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7

C Dorian(Dorian mode of C?)= CDEbFgaBb
1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7

Ionian1-2-3-4-5-6-7
Dorian1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7
Phrygian1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
Lydian1-2-3-#4-5-6-7
Mixolydian1-2-3-4-5-6-b7
Aeolian1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
Locrian1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7

iluvjazz7

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 02:19:51 AM »
Also keep in mind the major scale is really called the Ionian mode. Notice these diatonic modes use Greek names. I don't know when they started calling the Ionian scale major. But the Ionian let's you know it's been around maybe just as long or longer. But the new term of major scale may give the sense that it's a newer mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up