LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar video of... < inside!  (Read 1302 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Guitar video of... < inside!
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
Hi guys. Im having a hard time picking up what this guitar player is doing in his solo. His solo starts at 1:38 in the video, but what I am trying to pickup what he's doing in the video at these particular spots in the video at 2:06 - 2:07, at 2:24, at 2:29 - 2:30, at 3:06 - 3:07, at 3:12 - 3:13, at 3:37 - 3:39.

I Love You Lord Today GMS-March 2010

Offline Cwadroon

• LGM Member

Re: Guitar video of... < inside!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
I cant look at your times and listen, but I think what your after on  the 2:06-2:07 is a fast descending run. Im not at a guitar atm, but try sliding on the g string at the 7th fret to the 8th fret, slide back to the 7th fret and pull off to the 5th fret. Then pull off on the d strin 7th to 5th fret etc as far down your run as you wanna go.. One of my favourites too.  Alot of his solo is "mixing up the slurs" as I call it. (sliding hammer ons and pull offs) . Nice.

Offline Cwadroon

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
Listened again with guitar in hand and I was close, you will have to move it up a  fret to be in the same key as the video if youre using standard tuning. He only picks the first note, looks like he starts on each lower string with hammer ons (no picking) . Nice run!

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
Thanks. So he's basically using the technique called legato, am I correct on this? But something you mention about the technique called slurs. What are slurs in today's music terminology?

Offline Cwadroon

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:47 AM »
Slurs are tying notes together without picking (ie hammer ons, pull offs). They can look like a sideways bracket in music notation If a guy was to get REAL picky he could say legato allows to add some picking in the run after the first pluck, where a slurred performance would not. Thats my understanding anyway.. I'm no expert by far

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »
Slurs are tying notes together without picking (ie hammer ons, pull offs). If a guy was to get REAL picky he could say legato allows to add some picking in the run after the first pluck, where a slurred performance would not.

I know this might seem like this is a difficult question I'm about to ask, but how do I slur notes? I know I'm kind of putting you on the spot, but I thought I heard you say that legato would allow for some picking after the first run. So for slur notes that means if I was to take a C note and pluck it, and then pulloff or hammeron on a another note that's called legato, am I correct? While a slur in imo could it be something for instance instead of plucking the C note what do you do to not make it legato? I thought legato and slurs were the same?
Pages: [1]   Go Up