LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dominant 9th chord?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Dominant 9th chord?
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Hi guys. I am having a hard time trying to figure out how Jarius Mozee does what he does at 3:36. I realize he's playing a dominant chord, but man what scale is this guy playing? I was always taught that when you play a dominant 9th that Mixolydian was and is the scale to use over the chord. But when I play that scale it does not sound no where near to what this guy is playing. How come?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIb3WGUrAQ

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Re: Dominant 9th chord?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
Okay, guys Im back with a little update. After countless of hours of trying to figure out with what he's doing in the video starting at 3:38 and on and when he starts talking about this F dominant chord. My main question about this video is that in the video at 3:38 and on he starts talking about how he's playing a F dominant 9th chord. But what key could he be possibly be in? What I assume is that if that F dominant 9th is functioning as a V9 dominant chord, then there's a possibility that he may be in the key of Bb - I don't know for sure. I did here him say C minor chord as well, which is the ii chord in Bb. But my point is that he's not applying a typical F Mixolydian over that particular V9 dominant chord, which us musicians would often use in this case, but what he's playing is possibly a F Minor Blues scale over that particular chord. But who ever heard that applying a Minor Blues scale over maybe a V9 chord starting on the fifth scale degree of a key? We musicians would apply Mixolydian over that V9 functioning dominant chord. I really don't know how he gets away with it, but that scale adds a sense of funkiness over that chord.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »
This you know, but legato and slur stump you?

:-\ ?/?
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Okay, guys Im back with a little update. After countless of hours of trying to figure out with what he's doing in the video starting at 3:38 and on and when he starts talking about this F dominant chord. My main question about this video is that in the video at 3:38 and on he starts talking about how he's playing a F dominant 9th chord. But what key could he be possibly be in? What I assume is that if that F dominant 9th is functioning as a V9 dominant chord, then there's a possibility that he may be in the key of Bb - I don't know for sure. I did here him say C minor chord as well, which is the ii chord in Bb. But my point is that he's not applying a typical F Mixolydian over that particular V9 dominant chord, which us musicians would often use in this case, but what he's playing is possibly a F Minor Blues scale over that particular chord. But who ever heard that applying a Minor Blues scale over maybe a V9 chord starting on the fifth scale degree of a key? We musicians would apply Mixolydian over that V9 functioning dominant chord. I really don't know how he gets away with it, but that scale adds a sense of funkiness over that chord.
Google blues guitar and all you will see is V7 chords and the blues scale

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »
This you know, but legato and slur stump you?

:-\ ?/?

lol! Hey bro, I try my best to understand music!  ;)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
Google blues guitar and all you will see is V7 chords and the blues scale

I will have to try to google that. But man my whole life, books and videos were saying that we are supposed to use the Mixolydian scale or Bebop Dominant scale (jazz players use) over any functioning V7 dominant chord. It was then that I discover some how in George Benson song called: "Mt Airy Road" (I believe that is the name of the song) George Benson gets away with playing a Minor blues scale on the 2nd scale degree as an alternative scale instead of the Dorian mode. I believe someone said that the song was written in Dorian. Anyway, I later discovered from Andrew Wasson that minor chords can be substituted for dominant chords as well. So there is a possibility why Jarius Mozee gets away with playing a Minor Blues scale on the fifth scale degree. So I just discovered that we can use minor blues scale on the 5th scale degree and on the 2nd scale degree as well. We just have to remember to substitute minor chords for dominant chords. But I guess we all learn new things everyday. ^_^

But I will google "blues guitar" jonesl78.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:03:05 AM »
I will have to try to google that. But man my whole life, books and videos were saying that we are supposed to use the Mixolydian scale or Bebop Dominant scale (jazz players use) over any functioning V7 dominant chord.

In blues, you tend to have minor scale (pentatonic or blues scale) melodies played over dominant chords - which are major harmonies.  It is the trademark sound of the blues where you have tensions created by mixing major and minor sounds.  You could, of course throw in a Mixolydian or Dorian scale as well, but 7th chords and pentatonics is the blues.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom
Pages: [1]   Go Up