LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The art of using the thumb  (Read 1382 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

The art of using the thumb
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
Hi guys. I just stop by too say, I just got into playing double stops, power chords, and octaves with my thumb rather than using the guitar pick. For some strange reason, when you play double stops, power chords, and octaves with your thumb, the sound is more softer, mellow, gentle, pleasant, and easy too listen to. But on the other end, when your playing double stops, power chords, and octaves with the guitar pick, the sound is more harsh, rigid, and also hard too listen to. And guys I kid you not, playing the minor blues scale as octaves only with your thumb, sound so much more pleasant and makes you sound like... I kid you not a real professional!  :o

As of right now, I even got into started playing scales with my thumb rather than my guitar pick. Why....? Playing scales with your thumb has a soothing effect on me and should have a soothing effect on your other musicians as well. One thing I will say is that playing octaves with your thumb, (I kid you not) makes you sound more as though you have a jazz box guitar (because of the sound it produces) when your actually just playing on a Stratocaster. How weird is that.  ;D

And so I strongly urge you too get started using your thumb, when playing double stops, power chords, and even octaves. Cheers! ^_^

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: The art of using the thumb
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
For some strange reason, when you play double stops, power chords, and octaves with your thumb, the sound is more softer,

LOL....that's like saying that for some strange reason, you'll get to your destination faster if you drive vs. walking. :)  But it all depends on what kind of sound you want: pick vs. fingers (although, I wouldn't want a soft, mellow sound for power cords....I mean they are, after all, POWER chords).
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:27 PM »
IIRC, Smoke On The Water was done with guitar pick+middle finger. Kind of a similar concept.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
IIRC, Smoke On The Water was done with guitar pick+middle finger. Kind of a similar concept.

And was played on a Gibson ES335.  ;)

For the ultimate in thumb-picking technique, watch some Wes Montgomery videos.  :o
Music theory is not always music reality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up