LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shouting Music  (Read 16811 times)

Offline apostolic12

• LGM Member

Shouting Music
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
Okay so I go to an apostolic church and our muscians get with it when it comes to praise break and faster songs. I am learning how to play guitar but one thing I am struggling with is how to find out how to play the stuff they do for guitar. They play really fast and I hear and see people on youtube and other places playing it, but you never see it broken down. Can anyone help me with this?

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: Shouting Music
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
I think chording out certain shout fills on guitar that keyboard players use will require some fast fingers. It is probably easier to find double stops to use on certain parts or play a certain scale lick over the chord they use. Another easy way would be to use simple 1-4-5 chords or their dominants and then strum them on the bottom strings.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Ascension

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:38:24 PM »
Going through the same thing right now. Not only is it fast it also doesn't follow the same "rules" that other musical styles do.
 I mean playing in a major key with the 2 -7 and 6 some times minor and some times major??
This stuff is no joke to play for a guitar player and that's a fact!!
 Add the fact that most of these bands have musicianship that is on another planet from most white Churches even for an experienced player like myself this stuff is a real challenge!

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
Idk how useful these videos might be. Maybe you can get something out of it.

Gospel Shout Chords for guitar- Holy Ghost Party!

shouting music n C

Shout music riffs

Real Basic shoutn music
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Ascension

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
Idk how useful these videos might be. Maybe you can get something out of it.

Thanks for posting that. What I am now trying to wrap my head around is NOT the old school jump shout stuff  but there are a couple things here I can use.
For reference this is my current outside the Church band with me on guitar.
https://app.box.com/s/oicspf1z95u8etuuav8o
 This band is no slouch and most of us are very seasoned players who have played together as a group for many years.
 However the guys in the team at my new church are so far advanced from this it's unreal and I am really struggling to keep up with these guys.
 Scariest bunch of players I have ever tried to work with!!!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »
It really is simple. They are just playing the same stuff faster. You also have to learn how to break the rules and think out of the box. This is why I say it is better to practice busy then play less when you are live. If you never take the time to practice busy it is not going to come to you on the fly in a live situation.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Jonnyboyprime

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »
This section is very enlightening! Can someone please elaborate to me exactly what "Practice Busy" means?
"You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never give up a good thing."

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 11:57:06 PM »
This section is very enlightening! Can someone please elaborate to me exactly what "Practice Busy" means?
It means practice playing like you're the main event that people came to see and you're going to go all out to show them what you can do, hehe. That way you can tone it down when it comes time to perform, but be capable of busting out some crazy fills at the appropriate times.

Offline Jonnyboyprime

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
Ah... thanks! Yeah that's definitely an area I need work in as I'm pretty straight forward in my approach, I play the right chords and the safe type of licks that are hard to mess up in a service situation. I'll try fitting thus method into my regimen!
"You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never give up a good thing."

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »
It really is simple. They are just playing the same stuff faster.
QFE. The old stuff is the foundation of the new stuff.

What I've done in situations like that is play bluesrock lead licks and doublestops, and pay attention to the transition chord hits that everyone plays together, and play the root of the chords really dramatically with lots of vibrato and volume to really emphasize the progression, lol. No chords haha
Pages: [1]   Go Up