LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck between a Crossroad  (Read 1272 times)

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

Stuck between a Crossroad
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
Hi guys? As some of you may know that my mom wants me to go to school for music. But I have found out some terrible news that my college doesn't offer. The college that I attend doesn't offer a major where it gets you into the music industry as a musician. And in most cases you have to be at the right time and at the right place. So here is what I found out about the arts of associates degree of fine arts and humanities

DEGREE: ASSOCIATE OF ARTS
DIVISION: ARTS AND HUMANITIES

The Associate of Arts degree in Performance and Media Arts offers concentrations in Theatre Arts, Speech Communication, Television Production, Print/Broadcast Journalism and Public Relations. The curricula in all five concentrations are integrated to provide an interrelated performance and media arts education. All five concentrations are designed for transfer to four-year institutions. Only one concentration may be used for a degree.

Print/Broadcast Journalism Concentration
 The Print/Broadcast Journalism concentration focuses on building good writing and reporting skills combined with practical experience in newspaper editing and advanced reporting on the student newspaper, The Dolphin, as well as internships in print or broadcast journalism settings. This concentration prepares students for a variety of opportunities in any field that requires strong writing skills: public relations, print (newspapers and magazines), broadcasting (radio and television), advertising, or business and technical writing.

Public Relations Concentration
 The Public Relations Concentration is designed to explore the varied aspects of the customer/public relations industry. Students focus on written and oral communication skills-including interpersonal skills, presentation skills, writing and submitting press releases, media relations, and customer service. This concentration is designed to accommodate both the student wishing to seek employment upon receiving the Associate of Arts degree and the student wishing to transfer to a four-year institution.

Speech Communication Concentration
 Students who elect the Speech Communication concentration will have the opportunity to take such courses as public speaking, rhetoric, persuasion, interpersonal communication, and performance communication. Delgado graduates in the Speech Communication concentration may find employment in law enforcement, governmental affairs, customer relations, sales, social services, or any position that requires communication skills.

Television Production Concentration
 The Television Production concentration explores the varied aspects of the television industry. Courses include television production process, studio production/direction, editing and post production, field production, scriptwriting, and corporate and organizational television. Students will gain hands-on experience through television and video production projects in the City Park Campus studio or in internships with local television stations.

Theatre Arts Concentration
 The Theatre Arts concentration is designed to develop and promote communication skills, creativity, and self-expression through the study and appreciation of various aspects of the theatre. Students may eventually enter careers in the performing arts fields of acting, management, design, production, or education.

NOTE: A student may earn a degree in only one of these concentrations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, it has nothing to do with getting into the music industry. Now the college I attend has music programs, but there is no music degree for it. I really don't know on what to say as far as not being able to get a degree in and for music that will take me into the music industry. That was my main goal and desire! But now what do I go to college for if I don't get a call from someone by placing myself and talents on youtube? Do I still continue to go to school? If so, what should I major in? I really don't know to do with my life as of right now. I feel like my dreams have been crushed with the terrible news I have received about how my college doesn't offer a degree in music that will take me into the music industry. I was thinking about putting myself on youtube. So what equipment do I need to start recording and putting myself on youtube? Can I use a camera or some sort? I feel that since my school doesn't offer a degree in music (but the School of Music Berklee College does in Boston - but my mom don't want me to go) I feel that I have to put my self out there to get known. What you think?

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Stuck between a Crossroad
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:03:56 PM »
I say Speech Communication.....that could lead up to other career fields...you may look at Speech Pathology....maybe google..."speech communication in the music industry" to see what you come up with. Maybe there is a "door" into the industry you are not aware of.  Also, I think you have more options "job-wise" with that field compared to the others...even if it not music-related, you can use it to keep money in your pockets while you work your foot into the music industry...maybe you can offer speech advise to some of the artists, provide speech services to a company in the industry...who knows what you can come up with if you think outside the box.....IMHO

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »
Getting a music degree will not magically put you in the music industry. Many people in the industry, myself included, do not have a degree in music, but that has never stopped us from stay active and make a living from being a musician. There's a LOT more to it than just getting a degree.

I echo what baggettcindy said: make the most of your current situation, get your degree in something else that interests you and could help you later in life and continue to work on your musical abilities on your own.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »
Getting a music degree will not magically put you in the music industry. Many people in the industry, myself included, do not have a degree in music, but that has never stopped us from stay active and make a living from being a musician. There's a LOT more to it than just getting a degree.

I echo what baggettcindy said: make the most of your current situation, get your degree in something else that interests you and could help you later in life and continue to work on your musical abilities on your own.

Wisdom here! I agree

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »
Cant you transfer to another school that offers a music degree?
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »
+1

+2

To piggy back, no degree will magically put you in the (concentrated) industry.  Everything is about application of your knowledge.  There is a Science and an Art to almost everything.  If you can figure out what they are, you can excel. 

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
Dwest, we don't know enough about your health and its involvement, your level of skill at your instrument, your scholastic abilities or your willingness to stick out such a difficult undertaking as going to college for four years.  We can give you our thoughts on the matter,  but it is clear from your posts that you need deep counselling on the matter before you move forward.  There's too much we don't know.  Your parents do,  and again I say,  give their advice serious consideration.  Consider asking them if they can/will get a professional for you to help you in your decision making.  Listen with an open mind to what they both have to say. 

I will say this,  as I have said before as a reply to an earlier post maybe in a different way.   You can make a living in music without being a star.  You can go to college and upon completion, teach music at a High school or college.  You can learn music well enough to have a job as a church musician that pays a living wage, or at least a good addition to your day wage.  You can join or form a group and become a night musician with a day job.   You can play music because you love to play. BUT.  Your chance of being a music star is one in a million at best.  Most musicians aren't going there,  even if they throw everything else to the wind.

Listen to your parents.  Seek counselling.  Keep posting.  I(we) want to know how you are doing.

Offline dwest2419

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
I want to let everyone know that I am dong fine and I thank you all for your advice.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:26 PM »
That's great, Dwest, Hang in there.  Best wishes in your decision making.  May God bless you with the best one for you.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »
I want to let everyone know that I am dong fine and I thank you all for your advice.

Glad you are doing good.
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up