LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker upgrade for Peavey Vypr?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member
  • No weapon means.....N-O-O-O WEAPON!!!!

Speaker upgrade for Peavey Vypr?
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
I can't seem to get rid of the shrill pitchy sound in this amp.  What would be a good 12" speaker replacement for a richer, warmer tone?
I am what God says I am, no less and no more.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: Speaker upgrade for Peavey Vypr?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:39:15 AM »
You can try a speaker upgrade, but it's my opinion that the shrill sound is a result of it being a modeling amp and not a fault of the speaker so much. Have you tried turning the treble control down?
All of my Line 6 gear (except for the HD500) has to be run with the treble almost all the way off.
What guitar are you using? What pickups? You can roll back the tone knob and/or use a neck pickup instead of a bridge pickup to cut the high end.
If you're set on a speaker upgrade, an Eminence Legend 12" is a good start without spending too much.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
You can try a speaker upgrade, but it's my opinion that the shrill sound is a result of it being a modeling amp and not a fault of the speaker so much. Have you tried turning the treble control down?
All of my Line 6 gear (except for the HD500) has to be run with the treble almost all the way off.
What guitar are you using? What pickups? You can roll back the tone knob and/or use a neck pickup instead of a bridge pickup to cut the high end.
If you're set on a speaker upgrade, an Eminence Legend 12" is a good start without spending too much.

I agree with what Dave said.  If you want to upgrade, then get a better amp.  I think you'll find the Roland Cube and Fender Mustang series to be better alternatives to the Vypr.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »
Sorry for responding back so late.  Thanks for the responses Dave and Funk.  Turns out that I think the bulk of the problem was with my bottom of the line MIM Strat with stock pickups being played with volume at 10. 
I've been playing with a Line 6 Tube Screamer pedal through clean channel on amp also rolled up pretty high.  Our bass player plays pretty loud and everything else (vocals, flutist, electronic piano) is going through the system which made me play at the limits to cut through.  The clean channel on the amp has limited volume so I guess I was over driving the stock pickups making the guitar sound like a kazoo at times.  Arggghh!

Well anyway, I picked up a used solid body strat with MG pickups at GC for $379.  Sound is so much better.  Much smoother tone before breaking up.  Not to mention the fact that it just feels so right in my hands. I love the increase in sustain and smoother, sweeter tone at high volume.  I had gone several years without playing the strat but the type of music our band plays is more suitable to the strat sound so I had been considering buying another one for a while.  We have a coffee shop outing coming up in a few weeks so this was a good time.

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention funkstrat, that I agree with you on the Roland amp.  I played through one several years ago at a church for a while.  I absolutely loved the smoothness of it.  I will probably own one some day when ever I get to play with a really smooth jazz type band.  Right now though I play modern and traditional gospel at church with a REALLY loud organist and another band playing more on the CCM type music also pretty loud.  My personal preference is much more toned down jazzy style but a smooth Roland amp probably wouldn't cut through.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 06:20:58 PM »
About pickups: yes, they do have a big impact on electric guitar tone BUT it is not an isolated component.  In addition, while some models and variants have their devotes, they are not magical devices.  They are actually rather simple electronic components that convert the mechanical energy of a vibrating metal string into electrical current and from that perspective, those cheap ceramic pickups do the job.  Some people even prefer their tone to that of the higher-end AlNiCo pickups.  And then too, consider how many people have changed out their AlNiCo American Standard pick ups for something supposedly "better" only to end up back to the originals.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:50:50 PM »
Well like I said in previous post that I decided to upgrade the guitar instead of the speaker, or more accurately, the pickups were upgraded tot MG's instead of the stock pickups on the MIM strat.

Well, here's a video of me playing on the new guitar with the same amp and pedal.  http://youtu.be/joMBcAE7Hbs

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
I checked out some of that new video and the tone sounds pretty good. Congrats on your new guitar and improved tone!  8)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
Thanks Dave.  Yeah,  it was a night and day difference over the old guitar.  Should have done that a long time ago.  LOL!

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »
Here's a clip with the new guitar.  Much better tone.
http://youtu.be/3-qN9FYfPAs

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
I can really hear the difference between this and your videos from 2 months ago, wow. Cool.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"
Pages: [1]   Go Up