LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone downsizing? Anyone going back to 4 string?  (Read 8457 times)

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Anyone downsizing? Anyone going back to 4 string?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
welp....this thread has me thinking about just staying with a 4 string

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
welp....this thread has me thinking about just staying with a 4 string

Did you give the five string a good try, Cindy?  34 or shorter scale?  It will likely never be easier to make the transition than now  if a five string is something you are seriously considering.  For me personally,  it is a clear no brainer.  Certainly though,  not so for everyone.

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »
I never touched a 5-string......I was thinking having one would expand me musically

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
I haven't been doing much lately and made a decision to let go most of my gear save for a few items. I've also been playing my 4 string a lot more often than not and decided to upgrade one of my 4 string custom basses. I'll also be adding a D-tuner for the E string for when I need to go lower than E. I'm keeping my micro amps (Markbass, Genz Benz & GK) but I also put together a Preamp/Poweramp rig. Sounds pretty good. Just something different. Anyway, just updating what's going on with me.
not only did I go back to a 4 but I've been playing a P bass  more so than my 4 string Jazz bass for almost a year 1/2. I' ve just about ditched my 5 string unless I really need it.

Offline yumuledu

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
I bought a 5-string after learning bass for 3 months. I've been using it for a year and I'm still not comfortable with that B-string. One reason I play a five string is using the lower register. The only reason I wouldn't wanna play a four string in church is because the key of Eb xD and having no extra low-end isn't good for the band/sound. I'm think of tuning my four-string down to Eb or D, but things would easily get out of tune with normal gauged strings.

So right now, 4-string every time I can, but for main services, I would definitely go for a five-string!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 06:30:12 AM »
You can install a D-Tuner on the E string that will allow you to drop the string to Eb or D depending on how you set it.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up