LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for headphone monitor system?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member
  • No weapon means.....N-O-O-O WEAPON!!!!

Suggestion for headphone monitor system?
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »
At the church where I play, the band is positioned off center of the choir and behind the PA speakers.  Brick wall and glass of the baptismal separate our position from the choir.  To make matters worse the Leslie speaker is also between us and the choir and the organist/MOM plays extremely loud in my opinion.

Of course the result of this is that myself (guitar), the bass player who plays with us occasionally and the drummer cannot hear anything from the choir or lead vocalists.  This has been a frustration for a long time...TOO LONG!  The MOM shows almost no interest in changing anything.  Any suggestion for making ANY changes is usually met with "so and so would never go for that".  Like I said this is very frustrating so decided I will spend my own money on some 3-way 'inexpensive' monitoring system using headphones or in-ear phones.

Any suggestions?
I am what God says I am, no less and no more.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: Suggestion for headphone monitor system?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
Can you share any details about your mic and mixer set-up?
For example, is the choir mic'ed? Do the lead singers share a mic or are there several singers w/ several mics?
Do you have a mixing board w/ an available aux channel to use for monitoring?

If the choir and/or singers are mic'ed, what I would do assign their vocals to an aux channel and then from the aux out to a 4 channel headphone amp w/ cans or in-ears for the musicians. That would be the cheapest and easiest way to do it. You also may want to get a compressor/limiter in line with that to control the volume and protect your ears.
Music theory is not always music reality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up