LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians Friend "Private Reserve" Guitars  (Read 2328 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Musicians Friend "Private Reserve" Guitars
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »
So, just for fun, I was browsing through MusiciansFriend's Private Reserve section and, as you would expect, this is not a place for the faint of heart when it comes to shelling out the $$$'s on a guitar.  Prices ranged from $2,400 for the cheaper offerings and went up in excess of $11,000.  Well I don't know about you, but these prices are well out of my price range.  It's like this is where the men buy their guitars while the rest of little children have to settle for the $1,000 and under models.  But other that the satisfaction of showing what you can afford, I really don't see the point.  Even if I had the money, I don't think I'd be inclined to spend that much money on a guitar and maybe it's becuase I already have my "dream guitar": my 1993 American Standard Strat (really, if you're in the market for a Strat or Tele, the American Standard series is the way to go IMHO). She's due for a re-fret, but I truly have no complaints about it....well I guess not now after having owned it for so many years.  So for those of you have the means (or perhaps the curious amongst us), take a look.

Private Reserve!
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Re: Musicians Friend "Private Reserve" Guitars
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »
It's funny how almost all of the low-end Private Reserve guitars are Paul Reed Smith models. I don't know, I guess funny to me because I think of PRS guitars as high-end.

I've never spent more than $700 on a guitar and that was a used Godin that Guitar Center ripped me off on...one of those days that I wish I could do over, but whatever...and I tend to look for great deals on workhorse guitars.
My newest Gibson LPJ cost less than $500 brand new. No, it's not as pretty as a AAA-top Les Paul Standard, but it looks nice, plays nice and sounds nice to me and didn't cost as much as a functional used car.

Yeah, no sweat to those who can afford to shop in that realm; more power to them.
As long as God keeps me financially humble (yet very blessed) I'll keep buying the bargain guitars. :)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
....and maybe it's becuase I already have my "dream guitar": my 1993 American Standard Strat (really, if you're in the market for a Strat or Tele, the American Standard series is the way to go IMHO). She's due for a re-fret, but I truly have no complaints about it....well I guess not now after having owned it for so many years.

*** Caring SPAM ALERT follows ***

When you decide to pull the pin on your refret, chat me up.

I just refretted a Fender Jeff Beck Strat and a Gibson Les Paul R8 (with inlay replacement) today alone.

We do most of our work with guitars shipped in from all around the country and the world. Just received an early Don Grosh guitar from Sweden last week.

I rarely mention that I do this work (and the business link that follows) but I would rather enjoy doing a great fret job for a fellow LGM forum brother.

Take it under consideration when the time comes and ask for Jay.

http://www.philtone.com/

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
*** Caring SPAM ALERT follows ***

Take it under consideration when the time comes and ask for Jay.

http://www.philtone.com/

I'll definitely consider you.  I'm even considering going stainless-steel.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 10:16:53 PM »
I don't get it either.. I see some of those $11,000 basses and I just go  :o

The most I ever spent on a bass was $1000 and I sold it for the same price (well actually it was an $800 trade and $200 cash but..) within a month. I guess with some of these really exotic woods and being hand made and all.. but even if I had the money I don't think I play enough to justify that kind of expense for a bass..
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up