LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the highest praise?  (Read 37054 times)

Offline ciccv

• LGM Member

What is the highest praise?
« on: March 21, 2005, 02:30:28 PM »
Can somebody tell me what the highest praise is, and please have a scripture to back up what you've concluded?

ciccv

Offline B3Organist_007

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 05:03:54 PM »
I dont have any scriptures or anything but I think its Hallelujah??

Offline 1stLady

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In All Things ~ Give Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 10:52:48 AM »
Good Question!  All my life I've heard that Halleluiah is the Highest Praise, but nowhere have I found scripture to back that up.  If anyone finds it please post!
Rev. Washington
Before All Else Fails, Try Jesus!!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 11:22:45 AM »
I found this information our subject folks.

While the exact phrase, "Hallelujah is the highest praise" is not found in the bible; I believe it is implied and comes from Revelation 19:1-8

The Rejoicing of Heaven and Earth
Emotionally there is no greater commentary on this passage than the famous Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah, yet the only word this piece has in common with the passage is "hallelujah," the ancient Hebrew expression for "praise the Lord" (see, for example, Ps 104:35; 106:48; Tob 13:17). The destruction of Rome is still in view, and the passage is best understood as a response to the command of 18:20: "Rejoice over her, O heaven!" The rejoicing comes first from the roar of a great multitude in heaven (vv. 1-2), from the great multitude again (v. 3), then from the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures (v. 4). The first two exclamations are introduced by Hallelujah! (vv. 1, 3) and the third one with Amen, Hallelujah! (v. 4). All these voices are from heaven in keeping with the command addressed to heaven to rejoice. The fourth voice is also from heaven, from the throne, but it is addressed to the people of God on earth: Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, both small and great! (v. 5).

The fifth voice is the earth's response, like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder (v. 6). The rejoicing spreads from heaven to earth, in keeping with the movement in 18:20 from "heaven" to "you saints and apostles and prophets" on earth. The earth's hallelujah (v. 6) answers to the multiple "hallelujahs" in heaven. The announcement that our Lord God Almighty reigns is no news to heaven, but on earth it is an announcement of eschatological victory: the Lord God Almighty has taken direct control of the earth and has begun to reign anew. This is the visible realization of what was announced seven chapters earlier in connection with the seventh trumpet: "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever" (11:15).

The visible signs are now in place. If the time has come "for destroying those who destroy the earth," it is also the time "for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great" (11:18). Babylon and her doom have gradually faded from the vision of rejoicing John sees in this chapter. She is never mentioned after verse 3. Rejoicing over Babylon gives way to rejoicing over the establishment of God's rule, and specifically over the wedding of the Lamb (v. 7). Suddenly a very different "woman" is in the picture--the Lamb's bride, or wife. In contrast to Babylon, who was "dressed in fine linen, purple and scarlet," with "gold, precious stones and pearls" (18:16), she is dressed only in fine linen that is bright and clean (v. 8).

At this point an interpretation is given: (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.) This identifies not only the fine linen but also the woman who wears it. If the bride's fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints, then the bride herself represents the saints, the people of God whose blood has been avenged (18:24; 19:2) and who have joined in the chorus of rejoicing (18:20; 19:5). But who is giving the interpretation? It seems we are momentarily back in the world of chapter 17, in which "one of the angels who had the seven bowls" (17:1) interpreted, detail for detail, the vision of the evil woman on the scarlet beast.

What I glean from this exegesis is that while there are many ways of rejoicing and showing adoration to our Lord, Hallelujah is the word that they spoke, sang, shouted, etc.

I'll continue to look for more information on this subject.

Jonathan
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 11:22:47 AM »
Praise the Lord / Hallelujah / Alleluia

--> Hallelouia (Hebrew | Old Testament):  Praise ye Jah (short for Jehovah)
--> Allelouia (Greek | New Testament):  Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah
--> One of the meanings of Praise, in the Greek, is to boast

According to Naves Topical Bible, it’s an exclamatory expression of praise or adoration

There are plenty of scriptures in the OT that use Praise ye the Lord, especially in the book of Psalms.  If you look at the book of Revelation, you’ll find usages of Alleuia.  There are no scriptures that quote the term “highest praise.”

Psa. 106:1; 111:1; 112:1; 113:1; 117:1; 135:1; 146:1,10; 147:1; 148:1; Rev. 19:1,3, 4, 6

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 11:29:21 AM »
Thanks LadyBass.

I have a question for the group; how did this subject come up? Just wondering

Jonathan
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ciccv

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
I was challenged on the issue. Being a Praise and Worship leader I think I should have known the answer but didn't. What I mean by that is, if you ask any "church folks" what is the highest praise they will automatically say Hallelujah. It is something that we have quoted for years but we have no real scripture that backs it up, at least not that I could find. I think it's one of those things that I have just said for years and never took the time to correct it, or research it.
Now the problem is, we know that the word of God is powerful. But if it's not in the word then, it really has no authority.
Now I have read Rev 19 and scriptures in Psalms but not one time does it say that it is the highest praise.
I'm still searching for this.....seeing it has lasted this long it must have started somewhere?
What is you'll thoughts on this matter?
Is this one of those things that we have quoted in church for so long that we think it’s a scripture and it’s really not, or is it valid and I just can’t find it?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 02:15:18 PM »
Again, if you read my post and the young lady's post we clearly state that no, the exact phrase is not found in the bible. However, the spirit (or principle) of the phrase and the context in which the phrase is used (Rev. 19) is where people have taken the phrase.

After all, when Heaven AND Earth are rejoicing, what word are they repeatedly saying....HALLELUJAH!!

What other word(s) can be used to, "Praise ye the Lord"?

Just my two cents on the subject,
Jonathan

Offline ciccv

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 02:48:19 PM »
OK....now after reviewing Rev again, what makes Hallelujah any more or a higher praise then if I cry Holy Holy Holy?
Is it a priase but there is NO high or low praise but is your life style the highest praise you can give to God. What makes Hillelujah the highest?

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 02:59:39 PM »
Quote from: ciccv
OK....now after reviewing Rev again, what makes Hallelujah any more or a higher praise then if I cry Holy Holy Holy?
Is it a priase but there is NO high or low praise but is your life style the highest praise you can give to God. What makes Hillelujah the highest?

There is a difference between saying "Hallelujah" and "Holy, Holy, Holy".

Halleljuah is an expression of praise. As stated, it means Praise Jehovah. Thusly, you are saying, God we praise you.
The word "Holy" is used to describe God. Thusly, one is saying God you are Holy.

The word "Hallelujah" is directed TO God.  
The word "Holy" tells ABOUT God.

YOu cannont make a comparison of the two words because they are not used in the same context.

Offline ciccv

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 03:38:05 PM »
WOW that is so true!
Well what about if I said Glory to God. What makes Hallelujah any higher then saying Glory to God.
The bible says: Psa 149:6 [Let] the high [praises] of God [be] in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
Now I take that as more then one high praise. And when we go into high praise it's more of a shift in the Sprit and not what we say.
Now trust me you'll I'm not debating with anyone I'm just trying to understand and so far I can't see that a one praise is higher then the other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up