LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicago Music Exchange  (Read 1514 times)

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Chicago Music Exchange
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:19:15 AM »
I am so glad I don't live in Chicago.  I'd probably be divorced by now.  Took my oldest son to audition for music major program at Loyola University - Chicago.  On the way out we stopped at Chicago Music Exchange.  The Bassment (that's what they call it) is beyond awesome.  I got to see and play basses that I had only heard of on Talkbass, but never saw or played before.

Specifically, I got to play

Mayones Jabba 5-string
Nordy - I didn't make note of the model
Sandberg
Valenti

I also got to play a Sadowsky NYC, but since I have played one before, that's not the point.  The point is I was able to compare the others to the Sadowsky.  I'll speak mainly about the Mayones, the Sandberg, and the Valenti.  I didn't really spend much time with the Nordy, and by the time I thought to go back to it, someone else had it.  I played them all through an Ampeg stack.

First of all, not a bad apple in the bunch.  I do have a favorite, though.  A very definite favorite.  I would have actually considered trading my Fender AmDlx P5 and some cash for the walnut with blocks Sandberg.

The tone on this bass was powerful.  Booming lows and crystal clear highs.  The only basses I've played that do that balance better are my Alembics.  And they cost way more than this Sandberg ($3,200).

The Mayones (a beautiful blocked and bound blue burst over quilted maple) was the most beautiful of the lot and also my second favorite player.  This one delivered (imho) the closest "Marcus" tone of the bunch, although the Valenti and the Sadowsky were pretty close on that point.  I was just surprised that the Mayones was just a smidge tighter on that tone than the Valenti and the Sadowsky. 

I would have stayed longer and played with a few more toys, but there was a blizzard approaching and I needed to get back to Detroit.  I will visit again.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline jlgadson

• LGM Member
  • Easter 2009

Re: Chicago Music Exchange
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »
I am so glad I don't live in Chicago.  I'd probably be divorced by now. 

LOL
Psalms 28:3
Pages: [1]   Go Up