LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: right hand  (Read 3819 times)

Offline gospeluuke

• LGM Member

right hand
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »
Any suggestions for improving tight hand strum patterns. I feel stuck in a rut. On youtube all u see is chord help but no one really breaking down what they are doing with their right hand.
Live love and act like a Champion!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

Re: right hand
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:35:37 PM »
What are you having trouble with? Are you strumming with a pick or your fingers? Are you looking for new strum patterns?

If you are having trouble with strumming mechanics and you are using a pick , I would recommend holding a simple chord such as Em (022000) and doing down strums only. Take your time and try to get a clean, strong sound. The more you practice the better you will get.

Offline gospeluuke

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
Well, I play with my fingers. I have basic strum patterns down pretty good, But I am just not getting that "Gospel/Traditional sound"...Plus, I am branching into playing all barre chords vs open chords to get more crisp sound with my rhythm...I'm founding with the barre chords your right hand is soooo critical and I just don't know what rhythm patterns to practice to get that right sound.

My church does a lot of traditional type songs: Jesus on the Mainline, I'm a soldier in the army of the Lord, God is Good God, Bless the Lord, Come to Jesus, Victory is Mine, Let it be real, etc...

The slower songs are a bit easier but in terms of not just doing down strums or d u strums for fast songs, my playing is lacking that Gospel/Traditional personality.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
My suggestion: start listening closely to drummers and their groove...try tapping out the groove and drum beats with your fingers on a table or a desk...and then try to work those grooves into your strumming.

That's how I started with strumming patters way before I started playing the guitar. I was working out beats and grooves with my fingers and hands, hitting the desks at school and subsequently getting notes sent home by my teachers, complaining of my habits...but it paid off in the long run. :)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline gospeluuke

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
Thanks. I will give that a try. I appreciate it.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:03:58 PM »
This might sound silly, but it's worth a try: you can also just hold a guitar pick in your hand and strum on your pant leg or a pillow or something soft like that. Doing so will help you work out moving your wrist in rhythmic patterns.
It's like playing air guitar, but you'll have some resistance.
There are techniques that we can practice even if we don't have an instrument in our hands.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:01:54 AM »
My suggestion: start listening closely to drummers and their groove...try tapping out the groove and drum beats with your fingers on a table or a desk...and then try to work those grooves into your strumming.

That's how I started with strumming patters way before I started playing the guitar. I was working out beats and grooves with my fingers and hands, hitting the desks at school and subsequently getting notes sent home by my teachers, complaining of my habits...but it paid off in the long run. :)
+1 to this

This might sound silly, but it's worth a try: you can also just hold a guitar pick in your hand and strum on your pant leg or a pillow or something soft like that. Doing so will help you work out moving your wrist in rhythmic patterns.
It's like playing air guitar, but you'll have some resistance.
There are techniques that we can practice even if we don't have an instrument in our hands.
I like to strum on my belly for that, lol
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »
I like to strum on my belly for that, lol

Whatever works for you, dude.  8)

Offline jbohonos

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »
I love the songs you mentioned. I've been getting back my roots and working on those types of songs recently. G.E Patrersons live albums are a great place to listen for sweet guitar rhythms in this style. Oh and sister Rosetta Tharp.

A few tips...

I find it useful to practice songs using all up stokes. It gets me out of ruts and helps me to play stronger on the off beats.

If you don't use it already Google "Palm muting" in gospel I like to slam the heal of my palm into the bridge to cut chords of with a thump. If done in a repeating patter you can really drive.

practice rests. A lot of times less is better. Even just playing on beat per measure can be cool especially if you have a decent sized band.

Also... Strumming close to the bridge vs by the neck gets a very different tone. Patterned alternations between the two can add texture.

Last point... You mentioned bar chords. It can be cool to start 1 fret below the actual chord then slide up.

Offline nokaw253123

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 05:28:08 AM »
i think so for gtrdave.every think work for u .go on man
Pages: [1]   Go Up