LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Divine Revelation of Tuning  (Read 1652 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

A Divine Revelation of Tuning
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:09:08 AM »
........no, not really, but last night, something that should have been fairly obvious became clear to me.  Have you noticed that with some electronic tuners, the "in-tune" note (where you have the needle at the 0 mark) is flat compared to its fretted counterpart?  For example; your A string reads "in tune", but when you fret A on the 6th string it's slightly sharp.  Well after ensuring that I had my intonation as close to as correct as I could get it, I proceeded to do the following. 

*Using the A string example from above, I tuned the low E to concert pitch (BTW, I no longer tune to E flat....just in case anyone cares to know that  ;D). 
*Next, I'd fret A at the 5th fret and note where it reads. 
*Finally, tune open A to that reference point. 
*Repeat the process for the remaining strings.

Preliminary results sound good and the guitar is now better in tune with itself.  I guess it's good "guitar hack" but at the end of the day, I think it's time to invest in a better tuner.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

Re: A Divine Revelation of Tuning
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »
So you're using relative tuning with an electronic tuner rather than your ears. Neat. Hadn't thought of that.

I don't understand how this means you need a better tuner. Doesn't it just mean your intonation can only get so close? And this is why they created guitars with fanned frets, right?
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »
So you're using relative tuning with an electronic tuner rather than your ears. Neat. Hadn't thought of that.

I don't understand how this means you need a better tuner. Doesn't it just mean your intonation can only get so close? And this is why they created guitars with fanned frets, right?

I have been using a Boss TU-8 tuner from since the time that Apostle Paul was a little boy.  I think it's probably time to upgrade to a better tuner......although my current tuner probably isn't that bad.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 06:03:36 PM »
The tuner in the Zoom is very good..
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up