LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I get my foot faster?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline PastorRob

• LGM Member

How do I get my foot faster?
« on: March 28, 2005, 08:17:02 AM »
I've been playing drums for quite some time, but it seems like I'm having to relaern everything (odd as it may sound). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how I could improve my foot speed so I can do more doubles and stuff like that. Thanks and God Bless.

Offline phat33

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 09:56:24 AM »
I use to walk around with ankle weights whenever I was just sitting around.  They helped me by making my foot stronger and quicker.

Offline Funkaddictus_Groovus

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 08:04:33 PM »
try this excersises:with your heel down(planted on the pedal)play continuosly a bar of quarter notes,a bar of 8-notes,a bar of triplets and a bar of sixteens.do this for 15 minutes(or more) a day,at a COMFORTABLE tempo(the use of a metronome is more than suggested).it is important to stay relaxed and not force things(remember, it is not a race. you are trying to build muscles).

After a small break start playing quarter notes(without metronome)again at a comfortable speed.slowly and gradually start accelerating and also increasing volume. go back and forth for a while and then stay at a relatively fast and loud level for as long as you can.Now,some say that when your foot starts burning you should stop.Some say that this is the time to push more because this is where you build stamina and power.The middle solution works for me the best.when your foot starts burnin' back off a little bit(both in speed and volume). this excersises build stamina,speed AND power.

No matter how you play, you should practice these excersises heel down because there are important muscles to be built.you can also try'em heel up but you ARE gonna see an improvement anyway.Good Luck

JFunky

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 08:05:30 AM »
I emailed Derico Watson last year about the same thing and this is what THE MAN wrote:   " 1. Seating height
                            2.  Are you Relaxed?
                            3.  Foot wear(what shoes are you playing with?)
                            4.  Get a good pedal or pedals
                            5.  Spring tension
                            6.  Practice everything you do with your hands with
                                 your feet or foot.
                            7.  Practice with a Metronome.  (It helps you develop  
                                 your time and consistency.)

That's helped me out a lot.  Derico's the truth when it comes to foot speed.  Chris Coleman (his boy, which I've met, super humble) and him have blazin speed.
                              Hope this helps.

Offline Funkaddictus_Groovus

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 05:03:46 PM »
...by the way derrico is playin' here in athens with v.wooten(gonna check 'em out tommorow(thursday)night.will post comments.i might be able to get a lesson with him too... :D

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 10:18:14 AM »
wen u jus sittin around do doubles w/ ur foot :!:  :wink:
out :wink:
Pages: [1]   Go Up