LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are some progressions/passing chords to change keys between songs???  (Read 3458 times)

Offline ccweaver

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bass, Singing, Piano, Guitar. I love music!

I'm trying to learn some good ways to change keys between two different songs. What are some ways that you've done it?

I know the basic go to the 4/5 chord of the new key to get to the 1 of the key (e.g. F/G to go to C)...but am trying to learn some smooth ways involving some more passing chords.

For example, at the 5min mark of this clip from William McDowell's last album, they go from Ab (Key of "My Heart Sings") to Eb (Key of next track, "Can't Live Without You") by using a few passing chords. You barely notice they are changing keys since it's so smooth!

What are some progressions that you have used to jump keys...especially when the keys may be far apart.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Even with using "4 chord / 5th in the bass" technique, I add a chord in between that to make for a cooler modulation. I use the 1 chord with a b7 in the bass. Example going from D to Eb:

Key Eb  LH/RH

D / A-D-F# (1)
C / A-D-F# (b7)

And here comes the modulation chord to Eb

Key Eb  LH/RH

Bb / Ab-C-Eb (5)
Eb / F-G-Bb-Eb (1)

Lately, I've been using a technique where you play the 4 from the previous key and turn it into 3 of the next key using a modulation chord. Example, going from Eb to E:

Key Eb  LH/RH

F / Ab-C-Eb-G (2)
G / F-Bb-D (3)
Ab / G-C-Eb (4)
C / Bb-D-F (6)
F / Ab-C-Eb-G (2)
G / F-Bb-D (3)
Ab / G-C-Eb (4)

Ab turns to G#, and you're in the key of E like nothing happened

Key E  LH/RH

G# / C-E-F#-B (3)
C# / B-D-F# (6)
F# / A-C#-E-G# (2)

Then play the chords from in Eb in E.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline ccweaver

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Awesome, thanks T-Block. I'm going to have to try these when I get home from work!

1 more quick question...

What would you do if you had to bridge a tri-tone interval. Like from the Key of E to the key of Bb? I'm specifically thinking about from Israel & New Breed's "Lord You Are Good" ending in E into William Murphy's "Lord You Are Awesome" in Bb?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

What would you do if you had to bridge a tri-tone interval. Like from the Key of E to the key of Bb? I'm specifically thinking about from Israel & New Breed's "Lord You Are Good" ending in E into William Murphy's "Lord You Are Awesome" in Bb?

In that situation, I would turn the E major chord into a C major chord keeping the E in the bass, go to F major chord with F in the bass (you're now on 5 of Bb). Then maybe another chord to establish Bb as the new key, then straight to the Bb major chord.

E / E-G#-B  ending chord for "Lord You Are Good"
E / C-E-G  modulation chord from E to Bb
F / C-F-A
F / Eb-G-Bb-D
Bb / F-Bb-D

Every key is related in some form or fashion. So, there's always a way to get from anywhere to anywhere. Some are smooth, some are funky, but there is a way.

Offline ccweaver

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Thanks so much!

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

Good stuff Mr. Block!! ;)
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline dannizy8

• LGM Member

Why is it that the key of E and A are more difficult to play

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Any key is difficult or not because of the location of the notes in that particular key. The difficulty level decreases the more you practice and play in those keys.

Offline JemaineC

• LGM Member
    • Playing Piano

I think T-Block said it best. A way that I conquered the tough keys was to practice some of my favourite songs/chords in those keys and skip the keys I already play comfortably.
Pages: [1]   Go Up