LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ear training  (Read 1840 times)

Offline demilade

• LGM Member

Ear training
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
Hello all

I was watching a video with two jazz pianist. One would improvise a line and the second keyboardist would use his ears to repeat the exact same line. I was just wondering if there is a musician term for this like "chasing". And also how do I get to a level to be able to accomplish the same. And does anyone have some good video to use for my ear training. Thanks

Offline bgalbkatz

• LGM Member

Re: Ear training
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
Hey man!
I'm using EarMaster. It's a great app, and it has that exact "melody imitation" drill, and much much more.
Very recommended.

Offline Musician4JesusUK

• LGM Member
  • iPlay 4 hymn

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
Hey Demilade,

I'm not a jazz musician but I know the term in General music what they are doing is a duet (when two musicians play together).

I mainly play by ear but can also read sheet music. To describe playing by ear is difficult it just comes naturally if you have a good ear (like me).

But for those who aren't blessed with the gift of playing by ear naturally can find many videos on utube and different courses on the web.

Like this:

http://www.hearandplay.com

& this: http://store.gospelmusicians.com/Play-By-Ear-1/

(Sorry couldn't find any Jazz ones, try Utube)

God bless.

Offline Musician4JesusUK

• LGM Member
  • iPlay 4 hymn

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 07:12:34 PM »
Hey Bro,

Sorry forgot to add that to get to the level that they are at takes practice & patience

God bless

Offline JemaineC

• LGM Member
    • Playing Piano

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »
Hey Demilade

I am not playing keyboard that long. I have been playing bass for longer, but what I've learned is that you get better with hearing what is been played as you grow. The more you know chord progressions, scales, runs and licks the easier it becomes to articulate and copy what it being played.

So practice and have patience my man. Me and you both will eventually get to that level bro.

Offline demilade

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies. I will continue to work on it as everybody has said. I will notify on my progress. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up