LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cosby Show.  (Read 4560 times)

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

The Cosby Show.
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
How significant do you see Bill Cosby's fall from grace as a bad mark against black family values as was depicted by the Cosby Show?  Even as the show was running, many black people called it a pipe dream and claimed that such a family was rare in the black community.  Can his problems be considered self fulfilling to that claim? I was a child of the 1930s and 40s,  and have an opinion based on that period, but I wonder how the younger set sees it.  How do you see the legacy of the Cosby Show?

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

Re: The Cosby Show.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
Sadly the legacy is tainted :(

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
   I can't speak for the my whole generation but as far as I'm concerned, I'll always remember the show for what it was and what it meant at the time.  I sense that Cosby was a different person in the 60's and early 70's.  However from what I could discern of him from the early 80's on, he seemed to be a good spirited person.  I could be wrong.  He must have indeed upset someone in a great way for there to be such a coordinated effort to discredit him.  People just don't come up with this stuff out of the blue after soooo many years without there being something behind it.  I hear now they are trying to sue him for something his lawyer said.  It sounds like they are reaching to me.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
He had a lot to say about problems in our race(not usually said in mixed company).  Maybe Harry Truman's advice would have been good in this case. "If you can't stand the heat,  stay out of the kitchen".  I will always wonder why Cosby didn't.

Speaking for my generation,  I saw a lot of "Cosby" families.  They didn't always have the money,  but they had the values.  Are those families still there in large numbers?  I'd like to think so.  Clearly,  Cosby didn't.

He probably didn't think he'd get turned on.

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:05:54 AM »
I agree he must have really upset someone high up in the industry but even now after all this no charges? It was meant to totally discredit him but also, it might be his avenue to get right before it is too late.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 07:31:23 AM »
How significant do you see Bill Cosby's fall from grace as a bad mark against black family values as was depicted by the Cosby Show?  Even as the show was running, many black people called it a pipe dream and claimed that such a family was rare in the black community.  Can his problems be considered self fulfilling to that claim? I was a child of the 1930s and 40s,  and have an opinion based on that period, but I wonder how the younger set sees it.  How do you see the legacy of the Cosby Show?

Sadly I also agree that the legacy is tarnished.. but I think that the values and the lifestyle portrayed n the Cosby show were very real for a lot more people of color than many people think. I was always offended by the notion put forth by some.. black and white,  that the Cosby portrayal of black life was rare.  They were not living the life of Phillip Banks or George Jefferson but both were professionals and while it was not common in communities of color..  to have a doctor and a lawyer heading the same family,  there was a black middle class/upper middle class in communities all across America at the time and many were teachers, city workers, law enforcement etc. Even in  the material sense sense the Huxtables always came off as well off but not rich and the product of a solid middle class upbringing themselves..  Just look at any number of neighborhoods throughout New York alone.. since that was the setting for the show, you will find neighborhoods that were predominantly populated by people of color throughout Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and parts of Harlem where the inhabitants were hard working home owning, tax paying, middleclass, upper middle class citizens who did not speak ebonics (they could ... but they didn't .. y'all know how that goes... ;) ). The notion that somehow most black folks lived lives that were more like that of the Evans family in Chicago and that the Huxtables were a fabrication as opposed to just not as common but certainly not a rarity always made me go hmmmmmmm when I considered the fact that no one questioned the Banks family as being a "real portrayal" of black life.. but were all over Cosby and I always suspected it was because the Huxtables were actually a more realistic portrayal of the black middle class than many wanted to think because it would tarnish that "noble urban savage" image.. and for those blackfolks who criticized the show, they were an example of the same mentality that thinks of speaking proper English as "talking white" .. which is just ridiculous. The Huxtables had more in common with the Winslows as opposed to the Banks family but they all had similar roots.

As far as Cosby himself goes.. If the allegations are true then it is despicable and he deserves what he gets. The very first album I ever bought was Wonderfulness... and I knew the story of The Chicken Heart word for word by heart.. so it is very very sad to me. Where there is smoke there is fire. Plus... I believe that when things like this happen it reflects on black men in general as a whole more than it does on other people with the possible exception of Arabs. I think that many here are under 50 so the recollection may be different as an example for the Simpson case.. but I would be willing to bet that most black men over 50 have a different vibe of that whole affair, especially if they worked in the corporate world in some capacity as it was all unfolding and the verdict was eventually rendered. I remember a very subtle, unspoken but overall very discernible (If you were on the receiving end.. ) hostile vibe that permeated the atmosphere, particularly on the day the verdict was reached. I remember mentioning this to some white friends of mine at the time and they thought I was imagining things but every  black man I spoke to who was close to 30 or older at the time picked up on it as well. I was in N.Y.C. at the time so things were kind of tense anyway then... and my point with that is that when things like this happen the stigma for lack of a better term often gets spread around subliminally.. the old... "There's another one!" thing...
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
What is even sadder are the shows that portray "strong" role models today are so tainted.. I have to look twice and see if it is network or cable. Where are the wholesome shows?

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »
How significant do you see Bill Cosby's fall from grace as a bad mark against black family values as was depicted by the Cosby Show?

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. The way I see it, show had the impact it had and nothing can take that away. You can't retroactively make black people who hadn't seen anything like The Huxtables stop believing that happy, middle class black families exist.Those who achieved what the show depicted aren't going to believe they're family is a sham now. If any white people's views on black families "change" because of this I say they didn't believe anyway.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »
Something I've learned over the years is to try and distinguish the difference between the art and/or the product that someone produces...which may be quite good...and the person themselves...which is still a broken, fallen, sinful person.
Some great sinners have written some wonderful praise and worship songs, you know?
So, while Cosby the man has seriously destroyed his personal legacy...I don't know if he'll ever be trusted again...the stuff he produced like Fat Albert, The Cosby Show and his comedy routines (including the albums that I used to have) is still worthwhile, I think.
I have to say though, my perspective on black families was not affected at all by The Cosby Show. Instead, it was always based on the people I know personally.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 10:24:03 PM »
Something I've learned over the years is to try and distinguish the difference between the art and/or the product that someone produces...which may be quite good...and the person themselves...which is still a broken, fallen, sinful person.
Some great sinners have written some wonderful praise and worship songs, you know?
So, while Cosby the man has seriously destroyed his personal legacy...I don't know if he'll ever be trusted again...the stuff he produced like Fat Albert, The Cosby Show and his comedy routines (including the albums that I used to have) is still worthwhile, I think.
I have to say though, my perspective on black families was not affected at all by The Cosby Show. Instead, it was always based on the people I know personally.

;)
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up