LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trends in Gospel Bass  (Read 2291 times)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Trends in Gospel Bass
« on: March 09, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »
What trends are going on in Gospel bass this year?

Gear wise I'm seeing our phones being used more
such as a piezo tuner that plugs into your cellphone
https://www.petersontuners.com/products/pitchgrabber/

for amps
still seeing companies producing their first class D amp (you know those small but powerful heads)

For speakers
neodymium still reigns supreme and the 4x10 is still a very common setup however the 2x12 and the 1x15 is still around. Sometimes i see the 2x10 or 1x8 being pitched for portability to small rehearsals

for basses
is there anything new? I remember when there was all this discussion about active vs passive, the number of strings, types of wood, best pickups ... not saying those conversations don't happen just they just repeat themselves now nothing new ground breaking and no one brand being defined as the gospel sound or am I wrong?

For music
I'm seeing more hip hop gospel which sometimes means a decreased bass guitar role in the music scene (actually a decrease for all instruments if a DJ is used who samples everything) I wouldn't be surprised if churches struggle trying to force their live musicians to play the music and it not sounding the same as the recording.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Re: Trends in Gospel Bass
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:24:21 AM »
Interesting question and observations.  I wonder if some of the things you have noted are more regional than others. 

For example, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use their phone as a tuner except at a music store when a bass was horrifically out of tune and they just needed to straighten it out quick.  What I have seen is headstock tuners everywhere.

I've been out of the amp market for so long that I can't comment.  I simply haven't been paying attention to what's available.  But for what it's worth, that might be because I have two Class D amps.  ;D

Same with speakers, though I do keep my eye out for bargains steals on a 1x15 to either pair with my 2x10 combo or to solo in really small venues.

Basses?  Again, out of the market for a while.  But as you have noted, I am not seeing a shift towards any brand or configuration.  People seem to be playing what they like / have.

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: Trends in Gospel Bass
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:33:42 PM »
i completely forgot about those headstock tuners
Pages: [1]   Go Up