LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Moment LGM Has Been Waiting For...  (Read 2544 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

The Moment LGM Has Been Waiting For...
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »
...after months of anticipation and hope, I have some great news for you all.  The time has come to update you on the further developments of:

the Norfolk Southern Heritage Unit Program.........
Yes that's right.  The trains are back  :D

Ok, so maybe you are actually NOT excited about this at all, but here we go.  First of all, I would like to report that I've finally spotted one of the specially painted locomotives (the Interstate unit) locally, but unfortunately, was unable to snap a photo.  Secondly; the heritage unit has grown with the inclusion of several older or rebuilt locomotives added.  Those additions include:

1)  Norfolk & Portsmouth Belt Line (EMD GP38-2 # 5260)

2) Southern Railway (this is actually the 3rd SOU heritage unit - GP59 was painted in Southern colors until 2012 or so).  This EMD SD40 was built for the Southern Railway back in 1971 (one of the last non-Dash2 SD40's built) and can be thought of as being a "true" heritage unit because it was originally owned by the railroad that it's representing.

BTW, the current Norfolk Southern Railway is actually the Southern Railway renamed.  It's partner Norfolk & Western was merged into it in 1997.

3) Erie Lackawanna SD45-2 # 1700.  Another "true" heritage unit as it was built for the EL in 1972.

Norfolk Southern has rebuilt several EMD SD60 locomotives into SD40E's.  They are more efficient and comply with current EPA emissions standards.  While not heritage units, a few of them feature special paint schemes:

4) Go Rail:

5) First Responders:

6) Veterans:

And thus concludes the updates on the Norfolk Southern locomotives.....for now.  But fear ye not.  Rest assured that I shall faithfully update you on any breaking news.  Until then...Happy Friday!

“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

Re: The Moment LGM Has Been Waiting For...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
...after months of anticipation and hope, I have some great news for you all.  The time has come to update you on the further developments of:

the Norfolk Southern Heritage Unit Program.........
Yes that's right.  The trains are back  :D

Ok, so maybe you are actually NOT excited about this at all, but here we go.  First of all, I would like to report that I've finally spotted one of the specially painted locomotives (the Interstate unit) locally, but unfortunately, was unable to snap a photo.  Secondly; the heritage unit has grown with the inclusion of several older or rebuilt locomotives added.  Those additions include:

1)  Norfolk & Portsmouth Belt Line (EMD GP38-2 # 5260)

2) Southern Railway (this is actually the 3rd SOU heritage unit - GP59 was painted in Southern colors until 2012 or so).  This EMD SD40 was built for the Southern Railway back in 1971 (one of the last non-Dash2 SD40's built) and can be thought of as being a "true" heritage unit because it was originally owned by the railroad that it's representing.

BTW, the current Norfolk Southern Railway is actually the Southern Railway renamed.  It's partner Norfolk & Western was merged into it in 1997.

3) Erie Lackawanna SD45-2 # 1700.  Another "true" heritage unit as it was built for the EL in 1972.

Norfolk Southern has rebuilt several EMD SD60 locomotives into SD40E's.  They are more efficient and comply with current EPA emissions standards.  While not heritage units, a few of them feature special paint schemes:

4) Go Rail:

5) First Responders:

6) Veterans:

And thus concludes the updates on the Norfolk Southern locomotives.....for now.  But fear ye not.  Rest assured that I shall faithfully update you on any breaking news.  Until then...Happy Friday!

Thanks brother, it was good to get my Norfolk Southern on.  I started to say get my "train on" but then I realize that we haven't be saved alwayz.  ;D

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »
Well, I finally have a photo of one of these units.  A while ago, I got a glimpse of the Interstate Railroad unit, but was unable to photograph it as I was on my way to work.  A week ago, I saw the Conrail unit, but due to where it was parked, it was pretty close to impossible to get anything that was even close to a decent photo of it (I wasn't trying to get myself hurt, killed, or placed on the terror watch list over a train).  So this past Saturday, the Conrail unit was back and this time I had a nice clear view of it.  So here we see Norfolk Southern # 8089 dressed in Conrail blue at the Van Dorn St. (Alexandria, VA) bulk transfer yard on an overcast Saturday morning.  The unit is coupled to an older Dash 9 in the standard NS black.

Conrail
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »
Well, I finally have a photo of one of these units.  A while ago, I got a glimpse of the Interstate Railroad unit, but was unable to photograph it as I was on my way to work.  A week ago, I saw the Conrail unit, but due to where it was parked, it was pretty close to impossible to get anything that was even close to a decent photo of it (I wasn't trying to get myself hurt, killed, or placed on the terror watch list over a train).  So this past Saturday, the Conrail unit was back and this time I had a nice clear view of it.  So here we see Norfolk Southern # 8089 dressed in Conrail blue at the Van Dorn St. (Alexandria, VA) bulk transfer yard on an overcast Saturday morning.  The unit is coupled to an older Dash 9 in the standard NS black.

Conrail

Sorry wrong number; that's # 8098...
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »
Would that be anything like Con Air?

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »

No.  Conrail (Consolidated Rail Corp.) was created by the government in 1976 after the collapse of several North Eastern railroads, the largest of which was the Penn Central.  The industry was concerned that Penn Central's bankruptcy would have a ripple effect across the country so Uncle Sam stepped in and actually did save the day.  Conrail did so well, that they moved from the government to private sector and was eventually merged (a roughly 40/60 split) between CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern.

In the process of becoming a successful company, Conrail did abandon or sell off a good amount of underperforming rail lines so in the eyes of those affected by layoffs and abolishment of jobs, they feel that they were "conned" by Conrail.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

LOL!!!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up