LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funk Bass Jam  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Fraze

• LGM Member

Funk Bass Jam
« on: November 24, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »
My attempt at being funky tell me what you think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyogiMuN4cc

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

Re: Funk Bass Jam
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »
Fraze,

Welcome to LGM!  Nice playing on your clip. 

Funky?  I would say more of a tight light jazz groove than funk, but that is not a bad thing.  Just different.  I grew up listening to and learning how to play funk.  Still do it a little.  As far as a funk vibe in gospel music, listen to Andrew Gouche (a regular on this site) and Maurice Fitzgerald and you'll get a feel for what I mean.

But still, nice playing!

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
Good job! I would just say, it seems sometimes you played extra notes because you felt something was supposed to be there instead of what you felt the music needed. Understand theres nothing wrong with riding one note locking in the rhythm or playing a simple line. Be sensitive to what the music needs. Stay encouraged and keep shedding! 
Praise Him!

Offline Fraze

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
Fraze,

Welcome to LGM!  Nice playing on your clip. 

Funky?  I would say more of a tight light jazz groove than funk, but that is not a bad thing.  Just different.  I grew up listening to and learning how to play funk.  Still do it a little.  As far as a funk vibe in gospel music, listen to Andrew Gouche (a regular on this site) and Maurice Fitzgerald and you'll get a feel for what I mean.

But still, nice playing!

Peace,

James

Cool thanks I will take your advice. Forgive me for the incorrect naming...

Offline Fraze

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:22:45 PM »
Good job! I would just say, it seems sometimes you played extra notes because you felt something was supposed to be there instead of what you felt the music needed. Understand theres nothing wrong with riding one note locking in the rhythm or playing a simple line. Be sensitive to what the music needs. Stay encouraged and keep shedding!

Yeah that is exactly I was thinking...

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »
Nice playing. Timing is good. Not really funk but some funky vibes. And to echo what BassByGrace says....don't get caught up in having to play licks in between phrases. I know it's a Gospel and a good way to get your scales in but it is not necessary. If you decide to play outside the church scene, all that extra riffing gets looked down on. Good to know but don't make it a habit.

Just my 2 cents.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »
Meant to say 'A Gospel thing'...
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline Fraze

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
Nice playing. Timing is good. Not really funk but some funky vibes. And to echo what BassByGrace says....don't get caught up in having to play licks in between phrases. I know it's a Gospel and a good way to get your scales in but it is not necessary. If you decide to play outside the church scene, all that extra riffing gets looked down on. Good to know but don't make it a habit.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I guess I will have to work more on getting the right balance  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up