LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slowing Down to Transcribe  (Read 3585 times)

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

Slowing Down to Transcribe
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:56:46 PM »
What are you guys using to transcribe songs? Im originally a sax player so when I pick up piano I can get the basics, but the nuances (Certain voicings, different lines, movements, transitions, walk ups, etc) I struggle to get. So sometimes slowing down helps. Do you all slow down at all? If so what are you using to do so?

I know we dont get into promoting this or that, but this software is a legit way to download from youtube/vimeo/facebook etc and its not mine, nor am I getting paid to recommend. I probably bought it once, but now I just use the free version which does what I need. Its called YTD Youtube Downloader.

Mine is a two step process
1. Go to youtube to video I want to learn, highlight link in address bar and right-click to copy and download with above software
2. Open QuickTime 7 (latest one still works; I think mine is 7.7.8) and in "Window" menu, click A/V Controls and it allows you to slow down half speed and it resamples so pitch doesn't change. If you move it slightly in between the settings 1x and 1/2x theres an medium speed setting too.

Video helps if you need visual clues to catch a move or if you got an overhead video you're learning.
At one time, only certain versions of QT had this feature, but it seems they all work now so its helpful in the learning process. Old process but just excited it still works, and thought Id share.

Merry Christmas! And Happy Transcribing!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Slowing Down to Transcribe
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:57:29 AM »
Preesh!!!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:59:21 PM »
I use wmp and vlc to slow down videos and i use real player to download flash video files. I sometimes us vlc to get the server cache location to download a youtube video. I have also used the ine click plugin to get videos in Firefox.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »
I was an annual subscriber to RealPlayer just for the download feature. It allows to you to convert files to just about anything and even had an iPod/iPad compatible format. But for some reason it started glitching, especially when using Chrome. Some people found a workaround, but for me and countless others it was a waste, especially since we paid for it. Thats when I found out about YTD. Havent been back to RPlayer since

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
I use SMPlayer + SMTube to watch youtube stuff. It can also download, but you have to add some code for that. I used to use VLC, but it has really bad memory leak issues when streaming from youtube.

But, yeah... as far as slowing down youtube videos for transcribing, Youtube actually has a Speed setting now that allows you to slow down the video to 1/2 speed.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:24 PM »
I was an annual subscriber to RealPlayer just for the download feature. It allows to you to convert files to just about anything and even had an iPod/iPad compatible format. But for some reason it started glitching, especially when using Chrome. Some people found a workaround, but for me and countless others it was a waste, especially since we paid for it. Thats when I found out about YTD. Havent been back to RPlayer since
I have the free version. I disabled a lotbof stuff on it though.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
I use SMPlayer + SMTube to watch youtube stuff. It can also download, but you have to add some code for that. I used to use VLC, but it has really bad memory leak issues when streaming from youtube.

But, yeah... as far as slowing down youtube videos for transcribing, Youtube actually has a Speed setting now that allows you to slow down the video to 1/2 speed.
OMG!!!!! Wow, had no idea. This must be new. That changes the game because it eliminates steps. Thanks bro

Offline npsoul

• LGM Member
  • We're just passing thru

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
If you're an OS user, 'The Amazing Slow Downer' app is very good. Although it's kind of pricy, $49. It was 1/3 that price when it first came out. I do a lot of jazz transcribing too, so this app makes it so much easier. The pitch doesn't change and it has a looping function. FYI.
My Rig - Yamaha MOXF8, 73 Nord Electro 4, 61 Korg Kronos.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:13:30 PM »
If you're an OS user, 'The Amazing Slow Downer' app is very good. Although it's kind of pricy, $49. It was 1/3 that price when it first came out. I do a lot of jazz transcribing too, so this app makes it so much easier. The pitch doesn't change and it has a looping function. FYI.
First app I used for this, and yeah it was always expensive. So I used to just do the first 1/3rd of the mp3 or selected tracks on CD or whatever their restrictions were for the free one; but eventually just gave up

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:21 AM »
OMG!!!!! Wow, had no idea. This must be new. That changes the game because it eliminates steps. Thanks bro

Oh yeah. I tried it out yesterday, and let's just say I'm in love with music again..... ;D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »
well Im a just leave this right here then
! No longer available

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
And this one @ 3:27 if you slow it down, thats the Maj worship groove. Try putting some of that solo in your worship; whew!!! I got the first minute of his solo at 5:27, still trying to get the rest

! No longer available

Offline Casioman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 03:26:09 PM »
I use a registered version of Transcribe by Seventh String Software, it has all the usual features, looping, pitch stability, and it also has a keyboard feature which suggests what notes are being played when you freeze the video or audio. Great product.
Casioman aka Cmajornine

Visit http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

Offline jlewis

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • man I'm sleepy

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
Outside of the number system,  the youtube speed setting is the best piece of information I have gotten  in the last 5 years with respect to playing music. 

And its  FREE!!!!!!!!! ;D

Jlewis
Pages: [1]   Go Up