LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C-Dub's "No such thing as playing by ear".  (Read 3561 times)

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

C-Dub's "No such thing as playing by ear".
« on: February 05, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
I saw  a video some time ago by C-Dub indicating that there was no such thing as playing by ear. I found it very interesting and watched the whole video twice and read all the following comments from forum members. After all of that, I was still somewhat up in the air about his comments although I saw that what he said made a lot of sense for practice.  I wrote out one of his proposed practice routines(the one for the key of "C") and tried it.  It was similar to practicing a randomized scale of chords with some single notes in between.

I wondered if C-Dub still visits this forum, and if so, if he has a chart of the sequence of chords for each key.  I enjoyed playing them, but it is sort of difficult to write all the chords for each key by watching the video.  Seems the chart would be marketable if available. If it is,  I wpuld like to know.

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: C-Dub's "No such thing as playing by ear".
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:57:30 PM »
Can u post the video here? I will try and search for it on YouTube. It sounds interesting

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:19:18 PM »
I couldn't find the video where he explained his position, but the videos of the patterns that he said that one should practice for an hour for a week in each key are still on youtube  under " There's No Such Thing AS Playing By Ear"  It is kind of tedious to write them all out by looking at the videos.  The one that I wrote out was pleasant to practice, and it appeared to me that it would be very advantageous to practice all of them as he stated in his video.  Would diligent practice on all of them an hour a day for a week each make you an ear player?  I really don't know. That much practice couldn't help but to help a person who was trying to learn to play.  Would it be beneficial enough to account for the time spent? C-Dub said it would.  If I had the passages all written out,  I might just try and see, at least until I was convinced that I wasn't gaining equal to time spent.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
I think I remember getting into a discussion with him about his premise and just how false it was. I and thousands of other people play by ear. Always have, always will.
I think he could go about teaching his "method" without resorting to inaccurate claims.

Regardless, practice always pays off and if you can't find his videos, there are plenty of other ones out there to learn from.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »
http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,89979.0/nowap.html

! No longer available

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 12:41:16 AM »
Genius!

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:24:52 PM »
Thanx for posting the video!!!!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 08:15:32 AM »
No such thing, huh? Well tell that to the millions of musicians who can't read a lick of music but can play at virtuoso levels!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up