LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeff Berlin  (Read 3771 times)

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

Jeff Berlin
« on: March 25, 2016, 01:00:06 AM »
A lot of people are turned off by this guy and I get it. However, he doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I would love to study bass with him! His chops and explanations are on point.  I thought I was the only person that did not really care for tab until I heard him make a comment. I don't hate it and sometimes use it. However, I much rather use standard sheet music or chord charts.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Re: Jeff Berlin
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 06:59:36 AM »
He has good teaching concepts except for his opinion on using a metronome to work on timing. Some folks just do not have an internal clock. As for tab, it has it's place but it should not be used as a teaching toll, in my opinion. I've never used it nor have interest in it. I believe ear training is way more important as well as learning how to control your instrument. Learning many different styles of music is also important. Jeff has been bashed due to his stance that his method of teaching is the best method. I believe he has since changed his stance and is more open to others teaching styles.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 09:32:26 PM »
Tabs shouldn't be used as a teaching tool? If you have to give a homework assignment and need to indicate which notes/frets the student is to play, how would you do it if not with tabs? I'm curious.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
Tabs shouldn't be used as a teaching tool? If you have to give a homework assignment and need to indicate which notes/frets the student is to play, how would you do it if not with tabs? I'm curious.

If I were teaching (other than my son, I am not) I simply specify "this note on this string"... Like, play the Ab on the E string.  And then count on them to figure out where that is.  I used to tab stuff for LGM.  I quit doing that because it is way too time consuming.  In the time it takes me to tab something out, I can record a video that not only explains what to do, but also in some cases why.  Or offer options on how to get there based on where and how a bassist wants to position or if they are playing a 4 or 5 string.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »
What I mean with TAB is that the majority of what is found on the internet are mostly incorrect! TAB can most certainly be used to identify the notes on the fretboard but I would not use it to teach/learn songs. I agree with malthumb. In this day and age, a video can most certainly convey the message better and more efficiently. I have used TAB to learn the notes on my bass but I was already reading music through playing other instruments long before playing the bass. But this is my own personal take on TAB. Use whatever works for you and your development.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »
Thanks for explaining. Yeah, most tablature out there on the internet is full of inaccuracies. I've done my fair share of ultimate-guitar corrections :p

Yeah, videos are great and time efficient, but for those who have the time to write them down, having a resource on paper where you can instantly jump forward or back in the song by simply moving your eyes without having to click and tab a seek bar to rewind is very nice as well #plug4writtenmusic. But videos are great for people who learn by observation.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
SketchMan3,

Good point about having something to carry along.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH
Pages: [1]   Go Up