LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anti-Intellectualism  (Read 16606 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Anti-Intellectualism
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »
It's been a minute (well, quite more than that actually), but I thought I'd drop by and post an article for discussion.

Anti-Intellectualism and the Dumbing Down of America

One item that the article touched on has to do with the embrace of evolution.  Where do you stand on this?  It's an old issue, but; do you think that evolution is compatible with the Christian faith?  For that matter; does being a Christian mean that one must commit intellectual suicide?
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Anti-Intellectualism
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »
I think most people who have been round for a while are clearly aware of the validity of the comments in the article.  They just don't know what to do about it.  We have shifted so badly from what we used to be,  and if you aren't paying any attention, you'll miss it yourself.  Things that are accepted as common place now would have been rejected as totally unacceptable some years back,  and now  they wash right over us unaccounted for. This presidential race is a great example.  In my mind sometimes, I feel that we are going backwards from an orderly advancing society to one that's near dog eat dog anarchy and absent the rule of law. Where terrorists attack at will,  and the money and power are held by the wealthy few.  Family,  church,  school, governments and the people must wake up and turn this thing around while we are still a world leading country,   or we'll wake up soon in a third world one.

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »
Intellectualism may be a condition that is in the eye of the beholder.  For some an intellectual is one who has a close walk with God and a Christian in every sense of the word.  For others it can be a matter of the collection of great knowledge apart from the things of God.  I guess it would come down to how one would perceive an intellectual.  If our righteousness be as filthy rags, where does it leave our common intellect?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 12:31:01 AM »
Intellectualism may be a condition that is in the eye of the beholder.  For some an intellectual is one who has a close walk with God and a Christian in every sense of the word.  For others it can be a matter of the collection of great knowledge apart from the things of God.  I guess it would come down to how one would perceive an intellectual.  If our righteousness be as filthy rags, where does it leave our common intellect?
as the stuff that's left on those filthy rags

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »

To some, anti-intellectualism is one of the main reasons that religion exists in the modern world.  The see religion as a means to explain things that were once not understood, but as scientific knowledge has increased there is no longer any real need for the belief in a god.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom
Pages: [1]   Go Up