LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive 88 key digital pianos  (Read 20028 times)

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Inexpensive 88 key digital pianos
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
I am considering the purchase of an inexpensive 88 key digital piano and have looked at a number of possibles.  The Yamaha P-115, The Roland FP-30 and the Kawai ES-110, and on the outside, the Roland FP-50 on sale now for $400.00 more than the Yamaha are on my narrowed down list of choices. Has anyone had any experience with any of these boards.  If so, how would you rate either or all of them?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

Re: Inexpensive 88 key digital pianos
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
your purchase has to be new?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
I tend to like the Yamaha DGX 650, and they have the 660 now so previous models should be cheaper. The good thing about digi pianos is that they're usu. on display at your local Guitar Center. Go play a few. Thats probably how I came to like the DGX.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
Yes, I prefer new. I haven't tried the DGX660. I'll look at one tomorrow.  The P-115 is on sale at a discount, and I have about decided to buy one.  As a matter of fact,I'll look at the specs on the 660 on the web site tonight and be prepared to buy tomorrow if it fits better than the P-115.  Otherwise I'll get the P-115.  Thanks for the info.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
Not sure what your budget is but the Casio CGP-700BK  is a very good digital piano. I played it a couple months ago. The stereo sound it produces is awesome!

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:25:47 AM »
I have seen a lot of favorable comments on Casio digital keyboards and some of them do sound good, but they all (those that I have had experience with) seem to make loud clacking key noises when played. I don't think anyone but the person playing them can hear them, but the noises always bothered me.  I fear buying a Casio for that reason. Is there a lot of key noise when playing the 700bk? I have not yet made a purchase, but am thinking Yamaha. However, the Casio has a lot more desirable features.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 06:40:44 AM »
If it is still on sale today, I am buying the Yamaha P 115.  In case anyone else is thinking of buying an inexpensive digital piano, I will report after a weeks use outlining my findings on the sound, qualities and features of the board.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:44:19 AM »
I didn’t buy the Yamaha after all.  I keep looking at the Yamaha DGX 660 and the Casio CGP 700BK.  They are not on display at the Guitar Center so they have to be ordered.  Both are large and difficult to return if unsatisfactory. They are even difficult to open and set up to try out. The specs read good on both of them but first hand info in the absence of a try out is helpful. The price of either is in my range to buy. Any further information on either would be appreciated.  Especially on whether the key noise is present on the Casio. I am currently playing a 61 key board, which is somewhat restrictive.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »
I still favor the DGX. Even though I prefer a workstation, the keybed is awesome. Ive never been pleased with Casios, but then again I dont buy them either. Ive heard good things about their sounds, ie. organs. But I have never appreciated the action.  When I go to other churches and all they have is a DGX, Ive been satisfied. Its still a home keyboard style of board, but if the only thing I had was that, I could make do. I got my mother to get one for her house in SC. Still going strong, as I expect with any Yamaha product. We had a family reunion 4 years ago, and I broke it down (only 2 major screws I think) put it in a case ($50 or so) and took it to Florence. After getting back, I put it back on its stand, strapped it down with those screws and its back in business. Never had a problem. She has the Black DGX 650. I mainly hook up an iPad or computer when Im there to practice along to.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:01:00 PM »
Ive always found Casio action to be too light to feel like a piano in my experience. Some of the Privias are ok, I guess but the weight (or lack thereof) is my biggest complaint.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 01:15:33 AM »
Thanks for your comments, CS.  I am leaning towards the DGX 660.  If I buy this week, I won’t fail to report on it and give my impression of the unit that I purchase for those who might have an interest. 

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »
sounds good

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 03:24:36 PM »
Finally bit the bullet and bought the Yamaha P-115 digital piano.  It is due to arrive today.  I’ll tell you how it plays out for me in a few days. 

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »
After playing unweighted actions for so long, the Yamaha P-115’s action seems heavy but very smooth.  The p-115 is a very simple unit to operate—more like a regular piano—few bells and whistles. The sound is decent through the on board speakers. If you like a lot of sound choices and rhythms, etc, this is not your unit. If you want a decent sounding, relatively light 88 key piano with on board speakers that feels similar to a real piano that can be used in small venues without an amp and that can be bought at a reasonable price, the Yamaha P-115 is worth a look. I got a $100.00 discount from the MAP.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
nice

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 08:33:07 PM »
Thanks, C.S.  I think that I will like the unit very well.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 11:23:33 PM »
Just a further report on the Yamaha P-115.  After using the unit for a while, I find that it proved to be exactly as depicted in the post that I made earlier. I like it very much. I am somewhat discomfited by the fact that the P-125 was out at the time for the same price and has some improvements over the P-115. If you look at this unit, be sure to look at the P-125. It has better speakers, among other things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up