LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sacred vs. Secular: Is There a Real Difference?  (Read 7685 times)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Sacred vs. Secular: Is There a Real Difference?
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »
Let's get this party started.  Speaking from my own personal experience, I came up in the Apostolic Pentecostal (holiness) tradition and was taught early on that some things are of and for the devil or the world and we as Christians are to have no part in these things.  This seemed particularly true of music and listening to secular music was strictly forbidden; this is a fairly common teaching within the church and is one of the reasons why a Christian Music industry even exists (i.e.; the music industry has found another market to exploit).  Recently, there has been some controversy surrounding Snoop Dogg's new Gospel album which features collaborations with well-known artists including Fed Hammond, Erica Campbell, and controversial B. Slade (yeah; that guy) among others.  Several people have taken to various digital platforms to express (mostly) their disapproval of this, but check out this video and tell me your thoughts on the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3GspsxjJw
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

Re: Sacred vs. Secular: Is There a Real Difference?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »
cant spend 33 minutes on that, but I'll say Im not going to listen to Snoop, and certainly not B Slade
I do listen to secular for my job, but I know its secular. This secular under the guise of being gospel I cant do. I keep thinking about their after hours lifestyle. For example, Snoop has a marijuana business that was in the news talking about profiting a few days after the album dropped. B Slade said out of his own mouth, that certain things in the word dont apply to him (paraphrasing). He's blatantly turned away fro the call. Im not judging him, because the temptation hits us all, and there but by the grace of God go I. But if someone I knew used to be a brother walked away from the faith (all or in part), should I follow them and fall away too? God forbid.

Lord help brother Tonex, and help those who are truly seeking you but just havent discovered the way how yet. Send your laborers Lord to plant and water so that you get the increase, in Jesus name. Amen.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
cant spend 33 minutes on that
Thanks for the warning!  I don't have enough of an attention span to watch a 33 minute video and then remember to come back and respond.  LOL.  A brief synopsis of the video might be helpful.

My two cents:  I wasn't raised strict Holiness, Apostolic or anything of that ilk.  In fact, it wasn't until I was in my early teens that my parents got serious about attending church and being an active part of any ministry.  And, even after they got serious, I wasn't forbidden to listen to any types of music (and that was when Prince started to hit it big!).  So, I've seen life through the secular lens, for sure.  Then, I got saved and later on I got really serious about the word of God.  I'd say that it is best to avoid the trappings of secular music and pop culture in general.  Not all of it is inherently bad, but very little of it glorifies God or edifies His people.  When it's all said and done, only what we do for Christ will last, so for me it's a matter of following after that which will best help us keep our hearts and minds pure.

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:40:58 AM »
I didn’t watch the entire video.... I’ll watch it later. I’ve heard a lot of great reasons why it’s okay and also why it’s not okay. I’ll type a better response in the morning... lol

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 12:26:07 AM »
Okay.... I watched the entire video. This guy has some very, very valid points.  I think I’ve changed my views on gospel artists... it is a genre. I no longer have any real negative feelings (if I had any) concerning artists who performed with snoop dog.. depending on the artist and if the artist is claiming to live a Godly life style. I’m glad I watched the video.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
Yes....gospel music is just music.  You have people out there who enjoy gospel but have absolutely nothing to do with the Christian faith.  I'm not saying that I wold buy this album, but the gospel music INDUSTRY is just that....an industry.  It's an exercise in capitalism.  Some of these songs may be a blessing to you, but at the end of the day it's music.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
Back in the day this subject woulda cause all manner of firestorms here.

In the end Snoop's gonna havta stand before God and be called to account for himself, and his personal confessed relationship with Christ, and it has nuthin to do with me or his album.

That said, I guarantee there will be someone in Snoop's sphere of influence that will listen to the album that couldnt be reached by Shirley Caesar, Donnie Mac, Tasha Cobb, or anyone else that "Christians" would find acceptable, and a seed will be planted.

Mayhaps, to  Mr. and Mrs. Joe Q. Christian, this album wasn't for you. O-dog, Trey an' 'em, and G-banga need to hear the Gospel too

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
Remember too that gospel music is a genre of music and it has influenced other genres of music just as much as it has been influenced by other musical genres.  Gospel music means different things to different people depending on their point of reference; for the ones who are in the faith, it has a spiritual significance attached to it.  But for many, it's more of a feel-good, inspirational thing.  Or treasure trove of musical ideas for the musicians and song writers.  So the point is that just because somebody sings a gospel song or even puts out an entire album does not mean that they are Christians.  The issue that is presented in the Snoop Dogg case is weather or not Christians should listen to and thereby support gospel music that is performed by non-Christians or persons who are known to live contrary to what we understand the Word of God to teach.  By that measure, we have a number of well-known and established artists who should be excluded from our listening choices....but they're not.  There are artists who have fallen short of the mark and have effectively been excommunicated from the Christian music community while others seem to get a pass.  Songs that used to be sung in congregations across the country have been dropped because the artist who performed it has been found to be not as sanctified as initially believed.  But isn't much of 'mainstream' Christian music basically pop music?
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 03:21:33 PM »
I would say yes and no. Although gospel music has many styles it has evolved. There are certain songs I hear on the radio I say that sounds like gospel even though it has a certain style to it. One indicator is that gospel artists like to talk a lot. Lol  I don’t really listen to secular music except for what’s on tv, personal time with the wife, or more along the lines of “arts” like jazz, classical, folk music. So my view may be a little skewed.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up