LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How important is age when learning piano?  (Read 11527 times)

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

How important is age when learning piano?
« on: June 05, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »
Or guitar, bass, etc.  As I reflect over my personal experience, not as much as one might think. I started to try to learn piano at the age of 58. I didn’t take it seriously—considering it to be just a hobby.   I mistakenly thought 58 was too old to really learn piano. Instead of getting a teacher and starting from scratch covering all the bases step by step, I learned on my own. Surprisingly, I learned well enough to play for several small churches and to be invited to events to play. But I hit a wall in my progress that I never really got over.  I realized that I should have gotten a teacher back then and started at square one and gotten the basics for at least a couple of years. One thing, though, is clear to me—made clear by personal experience.  Age is not at all a reason to give up on learning to play piano/guitar etc. I’ve had a great time.  Go for it. But get a good teacher for the type of music you want to play. Learn the basics...Just reflecting.

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: How important is age when learning piano?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:22:53 AM »
I think about that a lot. I could’ve learned when I was a child( my dad was a MOM). Both he and my grandma were organists. I just turned 50 and have a great piano teacher. I don’t practice like I should but am making progress, but could b better. I agree... age is not a reason to give up.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:31 AM »
That’s great, Cindy. Best wishes for speedy progress and much enjoyment. 

Offline B_X

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:04:07 AM »
I think about that a lot. I could’ve learned when I was a child( my dad was a MOM). Both he and my grandma were organists. I just turned 50 and have a great piano teacher. I don’t practice like I should but am making progress, but could b better. I agree... age is not a reason to give up.

I have not logged into LGM in years, and amazingly, I am learning to play the piano for school. I am an Audio Engineering major and am taking music classes..... I just turned 39, so I really thought my age was going to hinder me learning to play. I am so glad that I came in the room.... Thanks y'all.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up