LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing by ear  (Read 7222 times)

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Playing by ear
« on: July 02, 2018, 09:12:16 AM »
 I have been playing the piano after a fashion for many years and can play all triads, sevenths and some ninths(all minors and diminished as well). I don’t read music very well. I would like to develop the skill of sitting at the piano during an actual event and playing for people who get up to sing at random. That’s no problem for 1-4-5 songs.  No problem to hear the key after hitting a note or two. However, some contemporary songs do not follow that pattern. I might even know the song, but sometimes cannot place the necessary chord. I know some progressions such as the 1645, 16251, 736/251. My question is—What would you practice to learn to comp contemporary, or other songs, by ear? Is there a concentrated practice procedure for that skill?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

Re: Playing by ear
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 07:33:08 AM »
Contemporary Gospel or RnB?

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
Contemporary gospel.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »
I may not be the best to respond because I ddint fully implement, but since I might be the only one to respond for a while I'll share my one idea...

I drive alot. And usu, Im listening to gospel, or atleast I used to . (Doing a lot more podcasts, tutorials, etc. lately). I carried something to write with in the front seat, so if I heard a banging chord progression/movement Id jot the song/ timestamp down so when I got back to my board, I could pick up that movement, and then play it in all keys. I also had to write them down, so I was creating my own collection of gospel moves that I liked, and should I forget I could go back to it. Worked for me, while I used it. It increased my vocabulary of options to play in church for those same tired voicings I was using. But it is a lot of work. I also used the sheet music/songbooks of my favorite artists to follow along and pick out moves I liked and worked on them.

FTR, I did try to find my sheet music that had my moves in it, but cant find it.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:44 PM »
Thanks, CS. I’m slapping myself on the forehead. I listen to satellite radio all the time in my car, but am always listening to oldies. I have a choice of several gospel stations. I can utilize that time easily to select songs for further study. I can prepare my own comping material. Great suggestion. Thanks again.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »
You said it yourself
I might even know the song, but sometimes cannot place the necessary chord.
So write down the names of the songs and go home and learn them, and analyze the theory behind the chord progressions so you can add them to your quiver. The more you learn different songs you don't know, the more you'll be familiar with what those types of songs typically do with their chords.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"
Pages: [1]   Go Up