LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing the Song  (Read 1044 times)

JFunky

Playing the Song
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:41:35 AM »
I know you guys are all caught up with all the drummers that do crazy fills and have awesome flashiness and stuff like that but what really catches MY attention are cats that know how to play ballads and know how to keep a nice groove so that the Song can be a Song and not a drum off.

We as Gospel drummers need to learn how to Master musicianship and how to just settle down and play the song so that everything can sound comfortable.

I saw Paul "Phinkky" John Jr.  playing with Alicia Keys and he totally nailed the Song "If I ain't got you" when I saw them on T.V. Live.  I see why she has him backing her up.  Other guys that have a really nice feel to the song are Marvin McQuitty, Nathaniel Townsley and Ladell Abrams when he played with CeCe Winans on her new DVD.

That's what we have to strive to do better as Gospel Drummers/Musicians.  (My 2 cents)

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

Yep....
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 11:31:29 PM »
You're right JFunky!  I support you all the way! 8)
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline Funkaddictus_Groovus

• LGM Member

Playing the Song
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 04:59:29 PM »
i'm with you guys...i mean i was listening bobby blands' "reflections in blue" just before and ed greene is awesome on it.its all about feel,groove and supporting the melody man...wow,aretha is on now and purdie is really killin'.another thing is touch,which "pretty" is a master of.kind of a lost art nowadays as most (or at least a lot of)drummers are overpowering the drums which leads to choking'em.i think the old greats use to "drow the sound out of the drum".some of today's drummers that are keeping this alive i think are Lil' john and w.kenneddy.they get a BIG sound out of the drums without needing to hit hard you know...?
 by the way any recomended cd's/dvd's of nathianel townsley?gospel or other style...thnx
Pages: [1]   Go Up