LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking It a Step Further  (Read 1187 times)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

Taking It a Step Further
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
i have been moving along quite nicely with the help of my LGM family, as well as spreading the knowledge and wisdom i have acquired to those who may be able to use it. the next step is work on particulars that will expand my bass playing. the first thing i want to tackle is utilizing more areas on the neck.

the particular thing i need help i moving around the bass. i can do patterns that for example if i would start on the B string would take me to the G string or vice versa (basically moving straight up or down within the same box area). What i can seem to figure out is for instance, if i start a descending pattern on the 17th fret on the G string, how to work the pattern so i end up on, lets say, the B string near the first couple frets, or vice versa going up starting near the first frets on the B or E string and getting up to the higher frets on the G string. I cant seem to get the mechanics of it.

Anybody with tips, readings, links, videos please chime in. Thanks LGM fam.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

Re: Taking It a Step Further
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 06:28:45 PM »
BASS SOLO VIDEO!

may help...4string only...

Offline Pfinesse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 07:35:38 PM »
Hey Bro,

You have more information than you know what to do with it right now.  Take your example for instance the 17th fret of the G string is the same as the 5th fret of the G string just an octave higher.  After the 12th fret everything repeats itself only an octave higher.  As you can see you have been transported to the area you were trying to get to now just apply the scale of pentatonic that gets you were you need to go.  Additionally, make use of your knowledge of your root and octave relationships, example the octave to a note is two frets toward the bridge and two strings down or two frets toward the nut and two strings up.  You can find the same note by moving down one string and six frets toward the nut or up one string and six frets toward the bridge.  If you don't know your pentatonics then learn them.  Using the pentatonics you can find the root not by relationships.  The five pentatonic modes fit together like a puzzle and an understanding of the shapes can be used to get in some great soloing with both the fingerrin style and slapping and poping.  Also, knowing the seven modes of the scale and their relationship to the major scale is also helpful.  Learning to play progressions in alternate patterns is also a plus.

Prior practice is your best weapon in your quest to play your axe for the Lord.  I probably put in about 10+ hours per week practicing.  I wish I could direct you to one source that covers all of this information but I can't.  I have many books and many hours of searching on the internet and video tapes that provide me with the information that I am relating to you now.  Additionally, I have an excellent bass instructor Anthony Wellington, www.bassology.net, that helps sort many things out.

Hopefully this helps

PFinesse 

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 10:34:49 PM »
You have more information than you know what to do with it right now. 

pretty much everything you said i know already so ur pretty much right. i havent really figured out how you utilize it like i should. i'll try to work at bringing all that information together to get it to work for me.

Using the pentatonics you can find the root not by relationships.  The five pentatonic modes fit together like a puzzle and an understanding of the shapes can be used to get in some great soloing with both the fingerrin style and slapping and poping.

could you explain this a bit. not sure if i already have this bit of information.

Offline bass_asaph

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 01:34:34 AM »
Pfinesse could u plas explain what you mean by playing progressions in alternate patterns.

Offline Musicman_00

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Don't think! Feel!"-Bruce Lee

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »
Watch Jaco. That's how I'm learning it. Tie in arpeggios/modes and just try crazy stuff.
"Music is a language. The bigger your vocabulary, the more options you have to choose from."

Offline Pfinesse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 02:11:33 PM »
floaded27 and All,

My apologize I typed the word "not" in the sentence below and it shouldn't be there.  I provided an attachment that has the fingering patterns for the seven modes of the major scale and the five pentatonic modes as well.  From the attachment you should be able to see how they connect together like a puzzle.  Additionally, I provided an example of some of the many different ways that you could play a common progression.  I only provided five variations but there are many other variations to playing a single progression on the fretboard.  By-the-way the 6-2-5-1 progression is commonly used in worship songs.  When in doubt try it.  The whole progression string is for your referrence goes from 1 to 7 to 3 to 6 to 2 to 5 to 1 for the major scale, this is how each note wants to resolve.  Yes, that's right 4 is not there because it tends to conflict or have tension, however you can use it as a passing note on your way to one of the other notes.  Try this when learning songs in the major scale, it could help when you need to know what key to go to next.

The reference to Jaco is great, and I would add that to know Jaco and how and why he played a particular lick the way he did is part of what this whole message string is about.

Memorize those modes, both the scales and pentatonics and then play your drum machine and for a particular key, using the pentatonics for example, just jump around playing the notes of the pentatonics.  this is how you learn to stay in the same key as you move around the fretboard. 

And with the pentatonics you can play them in sequences of three notes at a time and going back one note each time.  That's difficult to explain in writing, but easy to show.  I will try to post a diagram of what I am talking about.  That's how you get those quick three and four note bursts in your music that is very melodic.

Hope this all helps you guys like it helped me.

God's Peace Be With You

PFinesse

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
thanks pfinesse. i pretty much went home yesterday and started exploring the fretboard and finding new ways to traverse the scales over the fretboard. not new in the strict sense, but getting accustomed to combining different ones. that was pretty much what you sent in that chart. now i can basically study it when i dont have my bass on hand.

i know all about the 6-2-5-1 progressions, 7-3-6-2-5-1 progressions, and the different ways to play them and i use them all the time on sunday morning, best believe. i really study my theory, so like u said before i have more info than i know what to do with, so im trying to connect the technique and the instrument itself with all that info.

i am really theory heavy in my playing, not strictly bound to rules, but a need to know why this or that works. i can sit there and watch anybody solo, but if i dont know why they choose to play what they play, it does me nothing. i dont know how to apply it in other contexts besides where they use it, and all i become is a player who can copy what everybody else does but cant be creative in his own right, and i dont want to be that guy. so more than "oh it sounds good" i have to know why it sounds good

Offline Pfinesse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:03:54 PM »
Now go back and read your first message and understand the difference between that and the one you just sent.  Confidence!!!!!!

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »
Take a look at these if you haven't seen them yet.  Damian Erskine demonstrating some of the patterns that he use to get around the neck. 

I second the Jaco video for demonstation of some of these scales/arpeggios.  Also, Patitucci demonstrates some of these concepts in his videos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up