LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Loud?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline mcdonald75

• LGM Member

Too Loud?
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:08:41 PM »
Aint yall tired of being told you are playing too loud I get that all the time at one of my churchs and i be about to say things i aint spose to but But tell me what you guys think
TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Offline phat33

• LGM Member
    • http://

Too Loud?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 06:02:16 PM »
I get that sometimes too, but I always ask if they would rather me play too loud for God or too loud for the devil.  I mean we play drums and to be honest there is nothing really quiet about a drumset especially when you are annointed and playing to glorify the Almighty God....

Offline mudfoot

• LGM Member

Re: Too Loud?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 07:24:45 PM »
BASICALLY YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH DYNAMICS, MUSIC CAN BE INTENSE AT A LOW VOLUME ALSO, AS A MATTER OF FACT WHEN YOU ADD DYNAMICS TO MUSIC IT MAKES THE SOFTS, SOFTER AND THE LOUDS, LOUDER....[/list][/list]

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 08:24:08 PM »
Quote from: mcdonald75
Aint yall tired of being told you are playing too loud I get that all the time at one of my churchs and i be about to say things i aint spose to but But tell me what you guys think

Hey don't get mad when folks tell you you are playing too loud. It could be that you ARE playing too loud. The musical instruments, including the drums are to compliment each other. Sometimes drummers don't realize how loud they are.

The other thing is, you can't use an excuse like "I'm would you rather me play loud for the devil or for the Lord" to justify your playing too loud. If the leadership tells you to tone down, that's what you must do. God is not the author of confusion....if your leader says to pipe down, then do so because that's who God has appointed as leader. Every musician can't be doing their own thing.

Learn how to take in constructive criticism.

Offline Browntiplocs

• LGM Member

Too Loud?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 01:24:35 AM »
Also understand that at some churches, we (musicians) are considered too loud if we play anything above a whisper.  Go figure.  In any case you have to submit to your leader or find another church to play at that will allow you to BLAST them out!  8O

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

Too Loud?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 08:49:14 AM »
Ever thought about getting a drum screen?? :D
MERCY EN!!

kadman92

Too Loud?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 09:22:11 AM »
I can't wait till we get a screen at my church... My ears be killin me by the end of service. 8O

All musicians, not just drummers need to be mindfull of the decible level of our playing...  If the drums are loud then the organ turns up, then I can't hear myself so I turn the keyboard up.... It's a vicious circle.  We also have to be mindfull of the spirit and sometimes that dictates playing softer than you've ever played before.  The preacher may be drivin that bus but the musicians can sure make it go of course real easy.

Offline ltcc

• LGM Member

Too Loud?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 11:26:38 AM »
at my church we have a screen. one of the taller ones.  Sometimes im told to quiet down when we are in the zone so i do but i never lose the intesity that i had.  My worship leaders never tell me i'm to loud. When it comes to a time where the cymbals get invovled thats what the worship leader wants.  But it's my pastor who always tells me im to loud. So what do i do? I bring it down a little.  Because he is the leader of every one.

Offline pocketime

• LGM Member

Too Loud?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 12:41:52 PM »
Being a musical drummer must involve dynamics.   The ability to play musically with dynamics, finesse, and at varied volume levels is a sign of maturing with the instrument.  I agree that the MD has the responsibility of letting all of the musicians know what is needed.  His/her main function is to direct and interpret musical pieces and to make that understandable for the group.  PT.

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

Too Loud?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »
I feel it should be a balance between the music and the choir.the choir is more important then the music.
Shannon moore

Offline blumusiq

• LGM Member

Too Loud?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 05:07:49 AM »
My drummer gets that alot. I think it depends sometimes on how large or small the building your playing in is. For instance, when we have church in the smaller chapel, everyone says he's to loud. But when in the main sanctuary, no complaints yet he plays with the same intensity. Sometimes he can be loud but most of the time he just gets excited 'cause he feels the annointing like we all do.

Unfortunately, drummers don't have a volume button that doesn't move when they start feelin' it because their skill is more physical than other instruments

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 07:09:37 AM »
Quote from: mudfoot
BASICALLY YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH DYNAMICS, MUSIC CAN BE INTENSE AT A LOW VOLUME ALSO, AS A MATTER OF FACT WHEN YOU ADD DYNAMICS TO MUSIC IT MAKES THE SOFTS, SOFTER AND THE LOUDS, LOUDER....[/list][/list]

i agree :!:
out :wink:

Too Loud?
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
yo
One thing you should look for is the attitude you get when people tell you  u play too loud. If they're nice and respectful... try to lower it down. If they're nasty and ignorant, still bring it down but pray for the person too. It's a real humbling experience being a drummer. What I had to learn was that you have to feel whgat you play and know that it's right, even if you can't hear yourself like you want to. It's hard. Drums are hard because just because you can't hear yourself don't mean you're not loud. Practice playing really soft. Everything you know, fast, slow, rolls, etc. You'll find that what the devil meant for evil, God means it for your good. So instead of getting angry when people SHHHuSHH you, you'll gain other skils on the set.

Hope that helps

Offline drummerldc

• LGM Member

Too Loud?
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 03:57:42 PM »
I believe you must also be sensitive to the moment and to your musical surroundings. For example, if you are playing the congregational hymn for the morning, play what the song calls for. Finesse and dynamics are the key. Every song doesn't call for loud volume and killing chops. Its at those moments that we may stand out and be told to lower our volume, but if we are mindful of the atmosphere, that should somewhat dictate to us where our volume ought to be. God bless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up