LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question About Spiritual Gifts  (Read 1804 times)

Question About Spiritual Gifts
« on: April 14, 2005, 12:25:59 AM »
I would like to know what do you do when you have a woman in your choir at church who claims to have all of these spiritual gifts?  She claims she has the gift of healing and of prophecy (or however you spell it  :roll: ).  She also said that she has been called to be a minister.  Now this particular woman is old and is somewhat "special".  So, most of us in the choir don't know if we should believe her or not.

And she is determined to use her "gifts", even when our director told her to go to the pastor first.  I guess he is taking too long so she is getting impatient and dead set on using them anyway, with or without his permission.  So, today she tried that and the director had to let her know and so did I and some others, in the nicest possible way that she needs the permission of the pastor.  It is for him to go and pray on it and see if this is what God wants and get back to her on.  After all, he is the leader of the flock.  Well, needless to say she did not like what we were saying.

So, back to the question at hand.  Do we take her seriously or not?  I mean, I believe in these gifts, but the woman who claims to have them is questionable.  Like I said before, she is kind of "special".  And like the mother and first lady of the church said (God rest her soul), "You don't let any ol' body lay hands on you.  They may pass something to you that you don't want." But, you never know, she could be for real and I don't want to totally dismiss her.  Sorry this is so long, but please give me your opinions on this topic.

Be Peacefull Ya'll 8)

Offline will818

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 08:23:27 AM »
Well I would continue to tell her to ask the Pastor, as well as ask God for myself. Why? Because sometimes we just need to know for ourselves. so that is what I would do.

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 10:13:27 AM »
Your choir director is completely in the right. The Bible says that prophecy is to be judged (see Paul's teaching on spiritual gifts in I Corinthians). If the person is going against the leadership's directives, she is to be corrected . . . in love . . . by the leadership.

But yes, as long as the sister is being corrected gently and in love, she is not to be allowed to "minister" against the wishes of the pastor.

Be Blessed . . .
Joshua 1: 7, 8

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 03:55:08 PM »
Thanx Will and BBoy.  She was told at rehearsal in the nicest possible way by the director, myself and some others as well.  One of the other members even pulled her aside and spoke to her.  So, we hope she will be cool now.  But, should we believe she has these gifts?  Like I said in my last post, she's kind of "special".  She has asked to pray for us, but I don't want her to lay hands on me personaly because of that reason, and also, it's like she kinda braggs about it, and talks about it at every single rehearsal.  I don't take that stuff lightly.  And I say again, you can't let everyone who says they have this kind of gift lay hands on you.

But, in not letting her, I almost feel like I hurt her feelings.  And I am not the only one who feels that way.  Not saying I will let her, but you know what I mean.  So, should you believe someone who is "special" has these gifts?

kadman92

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 04:20:05 PM »
If god can use a Jackass to minister than he can use the developmentally dissabled.  If you think about it, they have an advantage over us.   The bible tells us to be as a little child.  Do you understand the faith that a child can have?  They BELIEVE what we tell/teach them.  So children don't normally doubt that God can do what he says he'll do.  

I'm not saying for sure that she has these gifts but she COULD.  Now understand this... for her to have the GIFTS... she would have to have the Holy Ghost, then you would see evidence of the gifts.  We shall know them by thier fruits.  

I hope this helps....

Offline cherrysoda

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 07:36:50 PM »
The God I served is a God who loves to show off. If she is blessed with the gift from GOd. Do you know that god would also let her gift be known.
  He will set a time and place for her to display her gift. THink about Joseph. He told is brother what he was going to be what they was going to do. But that did not happen then it was almost twenty years later. I have seem people with special gift, usually they will tell you about yourself first. What god going to do or things you never reveal to them.  Gradually they work their selves to Evang, then Ministries. Hands come alot later. Everyone have their season. Keep telling her to get permission from the pastor. You not hurting her feeling cause she older but tell her there's a procedure we follow and  pastor have to ok  it first.

!st Corinthian Fellowship  Church

Offline vwebster

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

Excellent Point
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 07:46:17 PM »
Quote from: kadman92
If god can use a Jackass to minister than he can use the developmentally dissabled.  If you think about it, they have an advantage over us.   The bible tells us to be as a little child.  Do you understand the faith that a child can have?  They BELIEVE what we tell/teach them.  So children don't normally doubt that God can do what he says he'll do.  

I'm not saying for sure that she has these gifts but she COULD.  Now understand this... for her to have the GIFTS... she would have to have the Holy Ghost, then you would see evidence of the gifts.  We shall know them by thier fruits.  

I hope this helps....

Excellent Point

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

choir
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 02:11:46 PM »
i myself am a minister, so let me tell u 4rm experience. the Bible says 2, "try the spirits, see whether they be of God?" as u said, u don't let any and everybody lay hands on u. just by what u're telling us i can tell u that sister has a spirit of confusion and disorder. she must 1st have the HolyGhost 2 display any of the spiritual gifts (and since i don't know her, this can't be answered). she can not kick against leadership, remember the HolyGhost does not act unseemly. God needs no1 2 brag and edify self, if shes real God will reveal himself thru her in due season, and vice versa if shes a phony, the truth will also be made known. and i apologize 4 how this comes across, but remember some people just like recognition and will try any and everything 2 make a name 4 themselves in the kingdom.

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 05:50:16 PM »
I believe in being nice as well, but if she is not delivered she SHOULD NOT be laying hands on anyone. There are many other ways that the Church can show love other than letting people minister. People should minister because GOD sent them, not because we feel sorry for them.

Yes, GOD can use anyone. However, GOD gave us pastors for our protection. If her ministry is not fully supported by the pastor, then no she should not be allowed to lay hands on anyone.

Listen folks, the devil is slick. He doesn't care how he gains entrance into your life as long as he gains entrance. If he has to use a well-meaning and misinformed sister, and the feelings of the saints, to gain entrance into another person's life . . . then the devil has no problems with doing just that.

Now, I was in the Army for several years. In cases where we had serious situations, we had to select the soldier who was together themselves, so they could help others. We couldn't be concerned with whether or not a soldier's feelings would be hurt.

The fact that a saint's feelings might be hurt because they can't minister lets us know right there that it is more about them using their "gifts" than other people being helped.

Jesus teaches this. Jesus let us know that the blind cannot lead the blind, or else they will both fall into the ditch.

Hope I don't sound heartless, but this is serious. If GOD wants her to minister, then GOD will open a door. IF the door isn't open, there is a reason.

My two cents? No, saints . . . don't let anyone lay hands on you who isn't delivered and supported by a clean and tried ministry. In fact, don't even let anyone prophesy to you or even preach to you unless they are themselves delivered, walking in victory and supported by a clean and tried ministry. There are many other ways that you can love them and let them know that you value them as a member of the Body of Christ, and that we love them dearly. But allowing them to go around laying on hands? NO. This is serious stuff we are dealing with.

Be Blessed . . .

BBoy  8)
Joshua 1: 7, 8

preach25

church
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 06:49:14 PM »
wow, well spoken, the only thing left 2 say is just Amen!
i fully agree with u bboy and drummerboy good advice. Bboy said it best... we need 2 be real with people and stop worrying about peolpes feelings all the time. some times we hurt and do people and injustice by not being honest with them. listen, demons are real and so is satan. please know that every1 in church professing 2 know Jesus, aren't really saved and don't know him, they just know about him. spiritual warfare is no joke, these are the last and evil days, the enemy knows his time is short and he desires 2 take as many people 2 hell with him.

"For we are not ignorant of his devices, lest satan should get an advantage over us"

JoyCH

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 09:29:38 PM »
I agree as well. But let me add to that - Deuteronomy 18:18- "I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethen, and will put My words which He speaks in My name, I will require it of him. (20) But prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die. (21) And if you sya in your heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord has spoken not (21) when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you shall not be afraid of them."  

There is always someone in the church who wants to appear to be deep. Don't get me wrong but this is nothing more than a "proud boastful spirit."
The bible teaches us to be humble. The work that we do is to glorify God, not ourselves. I had someone in our choir do the same thing Sunday past to me and what this person propheside did not happen. So what does it make them - a liar. And this is another reason why you should be careful who you invite to lay hands on your and pray.

Pray for the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost will guide you to the truth. (Spirit knows spirit, just as fruit know other fruit.)

Joy

JoyCH

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 09:44:45 PM »
One other thing - Ephesians 4:10-15  

"He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things. (11) And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers (12) for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry for the edifying of the body of Christ, (13) till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; (14) that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, (15) but speak the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ.

The Word is clear and speaks for itself.  :wink:

Joy

Offline ElderFrank

• LGM Member

Addition
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 02:08:59 AM »
I would add this to the responses which I would say have all provided good information on how to look at this issue.

The Greatest Gift is love and this will be exhibited by this person as a part of the fruit of the spirit. Love is not puffed up. So if she has the Holy Spirit and the subsequent gifts of the spirit she will exhibit love first, and in love submit to leadership or find leadership she can submit to.

1 Corinthians 13
The Greatest Spiritual Gift
    1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, it profits me nothing.
In His service & love,
Frank

Offline LorenzoS

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 02:37:51 AM »
all i have to say is that if indeed she has these gifts...The her gifts will make room for her, in God's own time.. When it is timefor her to come forth  and use her gift for the correct situation things will manifest themselves and to add....if she cant wait for the pastor to give the go cuz he's prayin on it......then she really has a problem...Because everthing is to be done in deceny and in order...God is not a God of impatience....He's a God of peace,order, and procedure
We can go from Glory to Goofy in a matter of seconds, by not heeding HIS voice. M.G. Blankenship

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 10:25:58 AM »
OOOWEEE!!!  Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this subject.  You are all right about one thing...........she is impatient about using her "gifts" and is way to eager to put them to use in the church.  It should not be about HER and her presenting herself this way.  If she does, indeed have the gifts of healing and prophecy, because of how she is behaving, they are of no use to God because He is not being glorified.

I will definately pass this on to some of the others who were concered about it to ease their discomfort, as you have done for me.  Thank you everyone for your help and advice.  And if anyone else has anything further to add, please, by all means do so  :D .

Lovingly,

PreciousSongBird  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up