LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 12" as a main snare  (Read 1195 times)

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

12" as a main snare
« on: April 18, 2005, 09:32:39 AM »
Just trying to get some feed back on using a 12" snare as a main snare. I wasn't thinking about doing it until I seen someone using a the Pearl Soprano 7x12" as a main. I gathered he didn't have it tuned really tight because it had a nice sound tone to it; kinda mid-range.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member
    • http://

12" as a main snare
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:36:26 AM »
8O  :? i dont think i would ever use it all da time as my main snare jus b/c i dont think it would have that nice thick warm sound that i need under my pop. u kno :?:  :D
out :wink:

Offline Freddy229

• LGM Member
    • http://

12" as a main snare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 05:49:49 PM »
If you use the right head, you can get a really open sound out of your 12". I use an Evans J1 Etched head and it is really great. I like it because it doesn't have all that excess ring like a 14". Try that, you might like it!

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

12" as a main snare
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 07:10:20 PM »
I use that Pearl Soprano 12 x 7 as my primary snare. i love the tone that it has. I use a Evans Genera Dry head on there. And it gives you a nice pop. Although sometimes it will be inappropriate for some work, you just have to use your judgement on that.

Offline Jedi3

• LGM Member
  • "Do or do not. There is no try."

12" as a main snare
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 08:47:09 PM »
I have two 12 inch snares that I would consider my "primaries."  One is a 5 x 12" Pork Pie and the other is a 6 x 12" DW. Both have maple shells and I tune them similarly.  The extra inch of depth on the DW adds a bit more warmth of tone overall but for the most part, they're pretty evenly matched.  A lot of cats tend to crank up then tension really, really high on smaller snares to maximize the "crack" that they can produce.  I have found that if you tune them medium tight on top and the bottom only slightly tighter, you'll keep the majority of the crack and at the same time add a little more depth to the sound of the drum and musically it will fit more situations for you.  My only real complaint about using a 12" primary is that it can be difficult to get a consistently good side-stick sound...but I guess a groove wedge or small jam block could settle that for you.  Hope this helps.

B
Pages: [1]   Go Up