LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 BASSLINES TO A POPULAR CHORD PROGRESSION  (Read 2591 times)

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

3 BASSLINES TO A POPULAR CHORD PROGRESSION
« on: April 18, 2005, 09:19:35 AM »
bassline to progression #11!

bassline to progression #12!

bassline to progression #13!

NOW I AM TAKING THE THINGS I HAVE SHOWN YOU AN SETTING IT TO CHORD PROGRESSIONS YOU HEAR ALL THE TIME SO YOU CAN SEE HOW TO USE THEM. :P

Offline Snug

• LGM Member

Uriah
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 05:51:59 PM »
Uriah I hope you can shed some light on this because I'm all confused now.

What I mean is that when I was first taught how to play the bass I was told that I was to find the root note, let's take G for example. Well my teacher told me to go 2 frets to the right and 2 strings down and that's an octave which is another G. Well he also told me that you should use any of the notes between those two octaves, like for example, 4 frets to the right of G would put you on B so you he told me that you can use all the notes between G and B when you're in the key of G, He then tells me that on the next string(the A string) you can start with C which is the 4th of G and go 4 frets down and be on the E note and you can play all the notes in between the C and the E and still be in the key of G, on the D string, the only notes left are F# and G which are the 4th and 5th fret. He said that you can't go to the left of those or you would be out of key.

Before I went to him to learn how to play, I was teaching myself and I was playing using the same method you were playing those riffs you just posted, but once I went to him, he told me that you're always suppose to start with the root and then go from right to left. He said that if you started on the root and goes to the left then you would be out of key.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. If you can explain to me more clearly on how you can start on the root and then go to the left like you did in the above examples I'd gladly appreciate. Maybe I was doing it all wrong when I showed my teacher that's why he stopped me from doing it all together.

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

A TEACHER CAN ONLY TEACH WHAT THEY KNOW!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:22:36 PM »
.....SOME TEACHERS BELIEVE THAT YOU MUST CRAWL BEFORE YOU WALK....THAT IS NOT MY THEORY!....WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I TAUGHT IN THE TALENTED AND GIFTED PROGRAM FOR A PUBLIC SCHOOL IN NY.
   THE OTHER TEACHERS THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY TRYING TO TEACH COLLEGE LEVEL MUSIC TO KINDERGARTEN THRU 6TH GRADERS....
  I BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE CAN LEARN WHAT YOU TEACH THEM...MUSIC ISNT ROCKET SCIENCE!...
  YOUR TEACHER MAY HAVE HAD A REASON FOR TEACHING THAT WAY...BUT I DONT TEACH THAT WAY....I WANT TO TEACH YOU HOW TO FLY...NOT CRAWL....   I FIGURE YOUR BRAINS AND YOUR HANDS ARE GUNNA HURT EITHER WAY...SO WHY NOT LEARN HOW TO FLY! (THERE IS NO LESS PAIN LEARNING HOW TO CRAWL!)

EVERY NOTE YOUR TEACHER SHOWED YOU CAN BE PLAYED TO THE LEFT AND TO THE RIGHT...AND YOU WILL FIND THAT IF YOU TAKE A RUN...AND PLAY IT WITH THE SAME NOTES...ONE TIME GOING TO THE LEFT...AND THE OTHER TO THE RIGHT...YOU WILL FIND A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE IN EACH WAY OF PLAYING.

DONT BE LIMITED IN WHAT YOU DO...THAT IS A TEACHERS PLAN TO KEEP YOU IN THEIR BOX...THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX...CHALLENGE THE NORMAL STUFF....GO TO THE LEFT!

Spiritfingers

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 11:55:33 PM »
Uriah,
Like you told me when we spoke, that part of your brain has to be developed.  I need some help!

On number 13 you used the riff from post 911 and you did it really quick!  I don't want you to show me how to be quick because I know that comes with practice but I do want to know is:  Can you post riffs like 911 used in situations like post 13.  I really need some of the various riffs do runs down to the d string using slide and pulls and all that other nice stuff!  Let me know if I'm asking too much or if it's already posted.  I'm working post 11-15 this week!

Fingers!

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 06:02:55 AM »
I will work on that asap....i was working on that but stopped for the current lessons I am giving...so now I will try and hurry up! :D

Offline Snug

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:32:17 AM »
I've practiced playing on the left and playing on the right, but I was wondering is there any advantage to playing to the left rather than the right?

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

GOOD QUESTION!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 06:40:19 PM »
IT ISNT THAT ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER BUT YOU WILL NOTICE THAT IF YOU PLAY THE SAME RUN..(IN TERMS OF NOTES) ONE GOING TO THE RIGHT AND THE OTHER GOING TO THE LEFT...THEY FEEL ENTIRELY DIFFERENT...AND OPEN UP DIFFERENT IDEAS AS TO WHERE TO GO NEXT BECAUSE OF YOUR HAND POSITION!

Offline austin5

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »
GOD is really blessing you , brother uriah! I enjoy All of your posts. I have question Is it possible to post the music from this post I would love to have that music. May GOD Bless You !

Spiritfingers

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 12:24:38 AM »
Uriah,
 :lol: Appreciate the sacrifice bro.  If there a way to work those ad-lib riffs in with what you showing now, then I can catch it.  By the way, what's up with the doom, doom :lol:   I started playing it at church and the Pastor nicknamed me "doom, doom" (shout music)!  Loving the pulls, slides and bouncing on the string to give me the sound I'm looking for.

Willie

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

as requested
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 07:09:49 AM »
music to bassline to progression #11!

ALL I DO IS DECIDE WHAT I NEED FOR YOU TO LEARN...THEN IN THIS CASE I PLAY A WIDELY PLAYED "ENDING".. ON MY KEYBOARD AND LET THE KEYBOARD LOOP IT... AND RECORDED THAT FOR ABOUT A MINUTE SO I COULD MAKE THE VIDEO!
 :P

Spiritfingers

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 07:17:35 PM »
Quote from: Spiritfingers
Uriah,
Like you told me when we spoke, that part of your brain has to be developed.  I need some help!

On number 13 you used the riff from post 911 and you did it really quick!  I don't want you to show me how to be quick because I know that comes with practice but I do want to know is:  Can you post riffs like 911 used in situations like post 13.  I really need some of the various riffs do runs down to the d string using slide and pulls and all that other nice stuff!  Let me know if I'm asking too much or if it's already posted.  I'm working post 11-15 this week!

Fingers!

No sweat!  Praise God though but I go the doom doom down to a science, I'm sure that more but see my quote from above.  Here's what I can really use!  Alot of of our music is funk, Rock and competorary or what we would call "White" gospel flipped to the funk!
Pages: [1]   Go Up