LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW LONG SHOULD A CHOIR REHERSAL LAST?  (Read 11316 times)

JoyCH

HOW LONG SHOULD A CHOIR REHERSAL LAST?
« on: November 01, 2005, 08:35:57 PM »
I'm just curious on how long your choir rehersals last. Are they too long, too short, your choir practice too many songs and only sing one song on Sunday, so forth.

Joy

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 08:49:31 PM »
2 hours ( actually an hour and a half cause black folks can't start nothin on time)

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise is what I do

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »
Quote from: dingster1
2 hours ( actually an hour and a half cause black folks can't start nothin on time)

:lol:  :lol:  Our choir rehearsals last about 1 1/2 hours.  We learn one song really well to sing on Sunday.

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member
  • Playing in the key of life
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 10:26:07 PM »
I say an hour and a half. Anything over that, you begin to lose the people..UNLESS, you're rehearsing for an engagement or concert. Then 2-3 hours would be more appropriate. I've been in some that lasted as long as 5 hours.. 8O

Offline RICHBET

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 10:56:48 PM »
1 1/2 - 2 HOURS - depending on what we are learning.  We usually try to touch on every song we plan to sing on the following Sunday.  We usually allow 45 minutes to 1 hour for a new song.  The new song may not be introduced for 2 weeks, though.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 11:20:58 PM »
I think it depends on the level of the choir. It's possible to have a very productive rehearsal in less than an hour. Most of the time, we just repeat stuff over and over, when we should move on.

I was in a rehearsal that was 20 minutes, and we practiced 5 songs for an event that was to take place later that day! Since everyone had the music, we mainly practiced timing and directing cues.

I think if a Minister of Music can keep the rehearsal on schedule and minimize talking, a lot can get done in a short amount of time.

I think new songs should be practiced for about 10-15 minutes per session, working on the difficult parts first.

....You know, even if the choir isn't that experienced (their voices are lacking), you can still have a rehearsal in about an hour. The key is just picking songs that they already know fairly well and singing those, while they rehearse newer or more difficult songs. A song that is already learned shouldn't have to be rehearsed for longer than 5 minutes, even if you have to do restarts. (Most songs are less than 5 minutes.)

Offline biblethumpa

• LGM Member
  • At my boring job tryn to make the best of it...

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 11:40:39 PM »
AS long as possible, Practice makes perfect!!! I'm tryn to pound this in my choirs mind.. They still havn't got it!!!!!

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise is what I do

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:32:09 AM »
Quote from: biblethumpa
AS long as possible, Practice makes perfect!!! I'm tryn to pound this in my choirs mind.. They still havn't got it!!!!!

Hey, biblethumpa ~actually practice makes permanent. Because if you keep practicing the wrong thing, that ain't perfect!  :wink:  :lol:

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 05:53:49 AM »
Ours is once on Thursday from 6:30 to 9 and 80% of the time only the Minister of Music has heard of the songs. The instramentalist are on their own.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 05:54:49 AM »
oh and we do 5 songs a song for offering adn alter call and lastly a song to close out service.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 05:58:55 AM »

I am the bass player for a mostly white church maybe 70% to 30%.

Our Praise and Worship leader is white and we never get started on time.

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 07:45:20 AM »
I've really got to travel out to B-more sometime and check out the scenes up there

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 10:29:15 AM »
I've really got to travel out to B-more sometime and check out the scenes up there

If you lived here your whole life you might feel a little differently. But I do see your point.

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 10:42:45 AM »
We practice for 2 hours when our learning a new song.Other than that we practice 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Shannon moore

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 10:43:39 AM »
I personally think no more than 90 minutes. Any longer than that, and I personally think that folks really aren't rehearsing.

In 90 minutes, the choir EASILY ought to be able to open up with a song and prayer (no longer than three minutes for that), learn two new songs, revisit any song that people are struggling with, and decide on two / three songs to sing on Sunday.

The more seasoned the choir or group is, the shorter the need for rehearsal. As I think about it, 90 minutes is a really long time . . .  8O

When I say 90 minutes, I mean people are going out the door in 90 minutes . . . not dismissing, not making announcements, not saying a benediction. If the rehearsal starts at 1, then they should be in their cars driving out of the parking lot at 2:30.

Just my opinion

Be Blessed  :D
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline SISTERNIKKI

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 12:38:57 PM »
I BELIEVE THAT A GOOD CHOIR REHEARSAL WILL LAST ONLY TWO HOURS MAX.  FIRST HOUR, YOU SHOULD REHEARSE THE NEW SONGS, FOLLOWED BY A HALF HOUR FOR BRUSHING UP ON ANY OLD SONGS TO SING ON SUNDAY AND THE HALF HOUR FOR BUSINESS.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 12:43:51 PM »
I'd have to agree. Anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half. After that, you lose folk.

Now, depending on what you're rehearsing, you could be out in 45 min.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Luvphillyman

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »
I personally don't like rehearsing for more than 1 1/2 hours because that's when people start to lose focus.  I'm the type of person where I like to "get in, get done, get out"  you know?

By the way, please, if anyone thinks I'm talking too much or that my subjects or language is inappropriate, or perhaps I shouldn't even be here because you're wondering how long I've "been a Christian", please let me know.  I don't feel like being kicked out of forums for any of those reasons.   :roll:   I thik I just annoyed a couple of members in the Bass Guitar forum.  Thanks.

Luvphillyman

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 08:24:46 PM »
Oh, so that no one thinks I'm making a "mountain out of a mole hill", here's E XACTLY what was said to me in the Bass Guitar forum:

"You need your own talk show! Wow!   8O

We like having a different perspective here but you know they have a Gospel Singers Forum.

The content of a lot of you conversation is good but leads me to ask, how long have you been a Christian? Not trying to judge you but to understand you... I probably am off a little but I would bet you are considered an outgoing personality"...

JoyCH

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 09:18:49 PM »
Quote from: Luvphillyman
Oh, so that no one thinks I'm making a "mountain out of a mole hill", here's E XACTLY what was said to me in the Bass Guitar forum:

"You need your own talk show! Wow!   8O

We like having a different perspective here but you know they have a Gospel Singers Forum.

The content of a lot of you conversation is good but leads me to ask, how long have you been a Christian? Not trying to judge you but to understand you... I probably am off a little but I would bet you are considered an outgoing personality"...

I'm trying to understand you - what does this have to do with choir rehersal? Christians can have a decent conversation - esp. when its not directed to anyone.

Joy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up