LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Mode Fact  (Read 1516 times)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Random Mode Fact
« on: August 10, 2006, 12:17:57 PM »
Here's something I just learned....and it might sound confusing....but...

There are 2 ways to think of modes.

1. Modes within a particular key
2. Modes for a particular note

With the first one,  if you're in C, then all the modes for C will consist of notes within the C major scale....
But, with the second, all the modes will be based on notes within the key a major third below that note, so if you want to play all the modes for the NOTE C, you'd build major scales off each note in the Ab major scale, but starting on C. Just confused you?

Watch the notes.

C Ionian - C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C (C major scale)
C Dorian - C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb-C (Bb major scale)
C Phrygian - C-Db-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C (Ab major scale)
C Lydian - C-D-E-F#-G-A-B-C (G major scale)
C Mixolydian - C-D-E-F-G-A-Bb-C (F major scale)
C Aeolian - C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C (Eb major scale)
C Locrian - C-Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C (Db major scale)

If you look at the bold notes, you'll see that they follow the Ab major scale. This should make it really easy to play the modes for a particular note, if you don't know them all by heart, in all keys.

Extra questions....
So, now that I know this, why is this true? What does it mean?...I don't know that part yet, but I'm sure that once I answer those two, the answer will lead me to something else that I won't fully understand.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Random Mode Fact
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:01:24 PM »
I actually understood all that B3.  I never looked at it that deep before, but that's a cool discovery.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »
Today, I've been working on playing diatonic Ab chords,in one hand, while playing diatonic C chords, in the other. I've found some interesting ideas. They sound real jazzy though, and some are nasty disonant. On a basic level, I understand how the notes relate, but it seems as if something else almost chaotic is in there.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 11:37:19 PM »
Today, I've been working on playing diatonic Ab chords,in one hand, while playing diatonic C chords, in the other. I've found some interesting ideas. They sound real jazzy though, and some are nasty disonant. On a basic level, I understand how the notes relate, but it seems as if something else almost chaotic is in there.

In order to de-mystify it for the rest of us, you may want to get with DD and put a video together of this. Actually, that might be a great idea for a lot of this stuff.

It would also take LGM to another level with regards to other websites that 'post'  teaching chords (although THEIR post are mad old)

Just a suggestion.  ;) ;D   

Or, it could be something that I just spoke into the atmosphere. HALLELUJAH!!!  ;) ;D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:10:56 AM »
Hey guys My cousin and I are working on that right now!! I might see if we can do a video and post online, so keep a look out for that

Offline outstretchedarm

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:53:59 AM »

With the first one,  if you're in C, then all the modes for C will consist of notes within the C major scale....
But, with the second, all the modes will be based on notes within the key a major third below that note, so if you want to play all the modes for the NOTE C, you'd build major scales off each note in the Ab major scale, but starting on C. Just confused you?

Watch the notes.

If you look at the bold notes, you'll see that they follow the Ab major scale. This should make it really easy to play the modes for a particular note, if you don't know them all by heart, in all keys.

Extra questions....
So, now that I know this, why is this true? What does it mean?...I don't know that part yet, but I'm sure that once I answer those two, the answer will lead me to something else that I won't fully understand.

Hmmmm...this is profoun.  Why Ab, of all keys?  What relationship does C have to Ab?  Gb I could understand and would have predicted, but why Ab?

Da Man

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 04:33:57 PM »

Watch the notes.

This is what Steve Vai and Joe Satriani do a lot...

Da Man
Pages: [1]   Go Up