Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dues  (Read 5988 times)

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member
    • Pentecostal COGIC Greenville Ky.

Dues
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
Do You Think that choir members should paid choir dues?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: Dues
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:58 AM »
Yes, within reasonable means.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:34:38 AM »
Yes.
:)

churchyreal

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »
No, I think that the church should be on a unified budget and get their financial support from the church budget and not by dues when half the people don't pay dues. If the choir has an anniversary then the income would go to the income bracket of the church budget, NOT a personal account.

Does anybody see what I'm saying?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:38:57 PM »
Not just for the heck of it.

I think that if a church choir has financial needs that the church's budget cannot meet, then the members might be assessed dues.

But, if they're just charging dues because they "can" or because they think choirs are supposed to charge dues, I have a problem with that.

Most choir directors I talk to have a problem collecting dues, so I always wonder whether this is effective.  One of the community choirs here charges $25/month for dues!!!!!  That's ridiculous!  And then, dude has the nerve to take up offerings during rehearsal sometimes.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »
No, I think that the church should be on a unified budget and get their financial support from the church budget and not by dues when half the people don't pay dues. If the choir has an anniversary then the income would go to the income bracket of the church budget, NOT a personal account.

NO

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »
Yes, within reasonable means.
what do you mean Brother

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
Not just for the heck of it.

I think that if a church choir has financial needs that the church's budget cannot meet, then the members might be assessed dues.

But, if they're just charging dues because they "can" or because they think choirs are supposed to charge dues, I have a problem with that.

Most choir directors I talk to have a problem collecting dues, so I always wonder whether this is effective.  One of the community choirs here charges $25/month for dues!!!!!  That's ridiculous!  And then, dude has the nerve to take up offerings during rehearsal sometimes.
these dues are for choirs, things for the music dept., and 4 pastor and wife anniversary. but we only collect 5.00 a month and 1.00 for the bus ministery, and a free will offering is this too much? this with the 25.00 a month is good.

churchyreal

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »
NO

ok, what I mean is pretty much what LaRue is saying, if the church budget can't meet the financial needs of the choir then take up dues, but if a budget can support the choir, then there is no need for dues.

Now do you see what I'm saying?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 06:58:48 PM »
these dues are for choirs, things for the music dept., and 4 pastor and wife anniversary. but we only collect 5.00 a month and 1.00 for the bus ministery, and a free will offering is this too much? this with the 25.00 a month is good.

Naw, personally, I'm just not into the dues thing.  What I personally prefer is to give an assessment per event.  For example, if we're buying a gift for a Pastoral anniversary, I would just tell them that we need each choir member to contribute $10 (or whatever the amount) by such-and-such date.

To answer your question, YES, it is too much to charge dues, and a bus "tax" and raise an offering, IMO.  I am sooooo opposed to charging a fee AND lifting an offering.  That just doesn't sit well with me, and I'm willing to bet it doesn't go over very well with your members.  They may not tell you, but I bet if an outside consultant came in and polled them anonymously, they would admit that they don't dig that.

I've been in church my whole life (in the choir) and I've never had a choir that charged us dues.

In life, the average adult is faced with frequent and consistent financial responsibilities.  Some are planned and budgeted for, and some are not.  I think the last thing a person needs is another financial obligation to add to the list, whether it's a dollar a month or ten.  But, that's just me.

Keep in mind that I'm not currently a choir director, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »
I don't get it. I am a musician. Usually (not always) I get paid. Why should choir members pay to be of service?
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:25:54 AM »
I don't get it. I am a musician. Usually (not always) I get paid. Why should choir members pay to be of service?

COSIGN.
 When you say dues, it makes it seem like you are paying to be in the choir or (whatever ministry has "dues").  My church, it's offering, we pass a basket at the end of rehersal during announcements, if you have something to give, cool, if you don't cool, no pressure, because the work of the Lord will go on. 
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »
At my church, we don't do any of that. WE take ONE offering on sunday, period. IF there is an event (i.e singles, womens/men's fellowship etc) outside the church like at a hotel, then we set an amt. But my Pastor was ordered to STOP completely all dues, chicken/chittlin dinners etc when he was called to start our church.

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »
At my church, we don't do any of that. WE take ONE offering on sunday, period. IF there is an event (i.e singles, womens/men's fellowship etc) outside the church like at a hotel, then we set an amt. But my Pastor was ordered to STOP completely all dues, chicken/chittlin dinners etc when he was called to start our church.

We really don't do this, and from my understading never have (i've only been there 7 years).
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »

I feel you on the unified budget. It makes things much easier and that is what tithes and offerings are for. If extra money is needed then maybe choir members can make donations and do fund raisers.

Also this would raise new questions. Are people that are apart of multiple choirs required to pay dues for each choir? What about the musicians that play for multiple choirs? I'm not totally against it in every situation, just most.

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 11:19:41 AM »
I feel that collecting dues are not out of order. When the choir has it's own money to make the purchases that it needs(sheet music,cd's, printing,ect) there is less confusion as oppossed to having to contact trustees, wait for approval, then wait for the check. :D :D
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »
I had to pull this back up because I just got a request from our MOM to start assessing the choir $20/mo. in dues. My initial reaction was negative, but I couldn't remember what my previously stated opinion on the subject was, so I did a search to find this thread.

I especially like Steelpulz's point.

My opinion is the same. I just can't get with dues. I guess I'll ask him what they will be used for.

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 08:52:29 PM »
I had to pull this back up because I just got a request from our MOM to start assessing the choir $20/mo. in dues. My initial reaction was negative, but I couldn't remember what my previously stated opinion on the subject was, so I did a search to find this thread.

I especially like Steelpulz's point.

My opinion is the same. I just can't get with dues. I guess I'll ask him what they will be used for.

ok so what would you use the 20.00 dues for???

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 10:35:27 AM »
ok so what would you use the 20.00 dues for???

Huh?

I just said I don't agree with dues. I can't answer what I would do with $20 dues because I wouldn't assess dues.

If you meant to ask what the choir director wants to do with the $20 dues, my answer is that I have no idea because he never answered my question. I think that if you want robes, don't collect dues, just make people buy their own robes. If you are taking a trip, have people chip in to pay for the gas or whatever.

I just don't understand where it goes. What do you need $20x20 people each month for??? $400 a month? For what? Where does it go? Maybe they want to have a workshop or something? I'm just not clear on that part. Where is the money going to go?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
Huh?

I just said I don't agree with dues. I can't answer what I would do with $20 dues because I wouldn't assess dues.

If you meant to ask what the choir director wants to do with the $20 dues, my answer is that I have no idea because he never answered my question. I think that if you want robes, don't collect dues, just make people buy their own robes. If you are taking a trip, have people chip in to pay for the gas or whatever.

I just don't understand where it goes. What do you need $20x20 people each month for??? $400 a month? For what? Where does it go? Maybe they want to have a workshop or something? I'm just not clear on that part. Where is the money going to go?

So, you wouldn't have a problem with it as long as you know where the money is going?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up