LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems With Church Choir  (Read 8396 times)

Offline tim77901

• LGM Member
  • TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Problems With Church Choir
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
It seens like when we are having practice there are a couple of members that try to direct from the choir stand. How would you effectively tell them without sounding rude or being disrespectful because they are older than me.

blyempowered

Re: Problems With Church Choir
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
It seens like when we are having practice there are a couple of members that try to direct from the choir stand. How would you effectively tell them without sounding rude or being disrespectful because they are older than me.

What's your position? Minister of music or just a musician?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
Are they any good? If so, use them. If not, explain that the choir follows one director at a time.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline PhillyMOM/Director

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:49:08 PM »
whether they're good or not...your best response to them "choir stand" directing is to execute and cut it off before it gets out of hand.if you need them use them but dont have let them continue on being "OUT OF ORDER" the best way is to explain ..please ma'm, please sir..please stop doing that its distracting, and uneccesary!

Offline tim77901

• LGM Member
  • TO GOD BE THE GLORY

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:59:16 PM »
What's your position? Minister of music or just a musician?
MOM.
Are they any good? If so, use them. If not, explain that the choir follows one director at a time.
NO
whether they're good or not...your best response to them "choir stand" directing is to execute and cut it off before it gets out of hand.if you need them use them but dont have let them continue on being "OUT OF ORDER" the best way is to explain ..please ma'm, please sir..please stop doing that its distracting, and uneccesary!
Ive tried that it it does not work

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:08 AM »
MOM.NOIve tried that it it does not work

Dismiss them from the choir explaining that it is out of order and distracting. *kanyeshrug*

We have to learn to stand for excellence in spite of what folks may feel.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:44 AM »
I think you should talk to them in private and try to clear the air. If that doesn't work do this...
Dismiss them from the choir explaining that it is out of order and distracting. *kanyeshrug*

Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline ilovetosingforgod

• LGM Member
  • Living for God!!

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »

Wow....
dejavu.... This goes on with my choir.... Lord have mercy on us. People these days lack order and structure...
What I have been doing when they get out of line is ... I sit down and get really quiet..... In hopes that they will understand that they are out of order... and the last I checked I am the director and not you..... but in order to smooth things over I ignore the outburst and return to where I left off... (We must lead with hollyiness and with structure....although it is hard at times...
See they told me they are grown...... We are not children.... ok..... So adults cant  be followers we all are immediate leaders.....huuuuummmmm.....

Well find peace in your storm... and speak indirectly about some of your concerns.... in hopes that those that were being defiant and unruley with cling to the structure.....

I had a lady on my choir that would get the choir to do a different rock than what I was instructing them to do.....
Most of the choir were following my direction and 2 of them (my sopranos) were doing there own little thing......
So What I did was throw my hand up to signal the body direction and when they didnt listen I though my arm up agian and said "WATCH ME".  They did not like it but they got they got the point.

GOOD LUCK...
STAND ON HIS WORD...
I PRAY FOR YOU AND THE SITUATION....
The Jesus in me Loves the Jesus in you!!!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
You have to take command.  If you command attention, they will listen.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »
I think you should talk to them in private and try to clear the air. If that doesn't work do this...

You have to take command.  If you command attention, they will listen.

Cosign.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »
Seems like this is the week for drama w/the choir...
:P

I Tim. 4:12 (NIV) - Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

Offline Blessingss

• LGM Member
  • My Soul seek God's Perfect Will

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:20 AM »
Yah, I'm a bit late here but it seems like this is one of the best places for me since I experienced these problems ever since I started; people charting, busy with phones, communicate with people passing by and some really playing during practice. >:(
Worship

Josh941

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
I am the youngest choir director at my church. I first started and I taught the adults. I taught them It Wasn't the Nails by MMC. When I first started teaching, it seemed like the liked it. Then, a few rehersals later, they complained that I took too long when the piano player at my church was teaching and didn't let me teach till about the time we are supposed to leave. So I get up there for 15 min and they complain that I take to long and never really let me teach again. I also play piano by ear and when the piano player isn't there, they get mad at me if I get on and play and the original pianist reads music. I do also but I do bettr by ear. Idk what to do. 

newnew123

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
I am the only choir director at my church! I am young, too!! I know about notes and stuff on a piano!!  I am good with pitch and stuff too!! I want to get better, too!!! Since we are young, people are going to treat us differently, and they will run over us!! I just learn to tell them to shut up or leave! I am in charge, so listen!  You can do it, bro! We as young people have to accept the critizle and move on!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up