LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What strings do you guys use...?  (Read 12694 times)

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

What strings do you guys use...?
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »
I just put a set of TI Flats on one of my basses.. I like them.. I forgot how good flats felt.. I had been using DRs for the past few years and Elixers before that .. D'Addarios before that .. but all rounds.. I like these strings.. they are pricey though.. I am going to try a set of their rounds when it is time to restring my MTD.
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: What strings do you guys use...?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:39:43 PM »
I used to by the cheap Ernie Ball strings.  :D I bought some DR High beams per a suggestion here and I have also tried the D'Addarios per a suggestion here. The D'Addarios sounded more jazz like and mellow on my Ibanez 305m. I believe the last set I bought were ghs bass boomers. I like the feel of round wound vs flats. I tried flats a long time ago and did not like them. I think I plan on sticking with $20 strings since I only play at home. If I got a good bass amp I probably would have more of a preference. I like the ghs for the price and sound. I need new strings on all of my basses now so I may try a few more brands.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
I've been using the DR Fat Beams for the last 2 years. I love them! Nice broken in feelings, perfect tension on all of my basses, and a nice boost in the low mids that I like. They may not be as bright as some other's but they're perfect for me.
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:38:28 PM »
I haven't changed the strings on my bass since I got it used. I have no idea what strings they are but I assume they are the stock strings that come with the P-Bass style Silvertone Revolver :P

That's information is not really worth anything but I figured I'd share it anyway. I'm due for a new set. Something that isn't steel and won't wear down my frets.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
I have absolutely no idea. I think Tim from Callowhill put a new set on when he upgraded my bass 2 years ago, but I dont know what brand and I havent changed them since. My other basses have some el' cheapo strings on them. I used to use Ken Smith strings on my basses, but I dont remember which particular series, so I always get ready to buy and when I cant remember, I hold off on the purchase. uggh.

Had the coated DR strings on one of my 5's but they were waaaaay too stiff and just didnt sound right. I'm looking for a set of half-rounds to see what different sound i get from that single MM pickup on my MTD 5 string. Not sure what brands have those.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Just got some ghs bass boomers on my four string since they were cheap at best buy. I thought I was getting a lower gauge but it looks like I bought the same strings I put on it previously. The 105 gauge. I checked the intonation and it doesn't appear I need to do anything to it.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
D'Adds. XL's. It's the only strings that work for me. Gives me just the amount of brightness I like and they last long. Lastly, affordable at $16 a set for my 4 strings. $24 a set for my 5 strings.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
I just bought a set of dunlop nickel wounds for my other ibanez ergodyne bass. Going to put them on when I get home. 45-125. I can't remember the bridge type but the 130 is always gets stuck in the groove.

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:17 PM »
I use Circle K Strings http://kaliumstrings.com/home.html .190 gauge .
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline fancyron

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
I use Ernie Ball super slinkys on my music man.  DR hi-beams on my Fender jazz

Offline PianoClubhouse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Don't talk about it....BE about it!
    • PianoClubhouse.com

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
whatever the cheapest ones are at GC whenever i happen to go...lol.

Offline Robear22

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »
I use D'Addario, Dunlop, and Hartke. The Hartke set can be had for $9.95for a 4 string set and I believe $12.95 for 5 string.

Offline sixstringpoet

• LGM Member
  • keep sound wisdom and discretion: Proverbs 3:21
    • 6stringpoet

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Just about any strings that are stainless steel.  I love Dean Markley SR 2000 and DR's, but will use Carvin strings to save money.

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »
Anyone like rcocco strings?

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »
I have absolutely no idea. I think Tim from Callowhill put a new set on when he upgraded my bass 2 years ago, but I dont know what brand and I havent changed them since. My other basses have some el' cheapo strings on them. I used to use Ken Smith strings on my basses, but I dont remember which particular series, so I always get ready to buy and when I cant remember, I hold off on the purchase. uggh.

Had the coated DR strings on one of my 5's but they were waaaaay too stiff and just didnt sound right. I'm looking for a set of half-rounds to see what different sound i get from that single MM pickup on my MTD 5 string. Not sure what brands have those.

The part I highlighted in bold red reminds me of a story from an interview witht he late, great Bernard Edwards, bassist for super-group Chic, and bassist / producer for Diana Ross, Sister Sledge, and a number of groups in the '80s and '90s.  He was asked what type of strings he used on his Music Man Sting Ray.  He yelled over to his equipment guy..."what kinda strings do Music Man basses come with?"  He had never changed them.

To answer the original question....

I have one 5-string and two 4-string basses using DR Black Beauties
I have one 5-string with DR Fat Beams
I have one 4-string with Ken Smith Compressors
I have one 5-string that I recently acquired that I have no clue what is on them, but they will soon be replaced by either Black Beauties or Fat Beams.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline fluteminstrel

• LGM Member
  • my bass

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 06:19:13 PM »
please someone school me on flat or wound please explain the different in these strings and how they would sound thanks a lot I keep hearing these terms but did not understand what they were thanks again

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 08:01:08 AM »
I bought flat strings once before and did not like them. They don't have grooves in them like round. When you rub your fingers on them they are smooth. If you ever played the bottom two strings on a guitar flats are smooth like that.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
please someone school me on flat or wound please explain the different in these strings and how they would sound thanks a lot I keep hearing these terms but did not understand what they were thanks again

Here you go.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline yumuledu

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »
Try Black Nylons. They feel like flats, have a beautiful black nylon (unless it's a different color, like the Labellas), and sound great for modern playing or a fretless! I seriously don't know why a lot of people don't use these strings. The sound is hard to explain. Jut be wary that it can get a bit slippery so get a microfiber cloth :P

Offline txh003

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
Note: Decided to bump an old thread as oppose to reposting the same question in another thread.

Since 2004, when the D'Addario Slowounds were discontinued, Ken Smith Burners (ML .45-.125T) have been my string of choice.  However, this year I started using DR Fat Beams (M .45-.125) to try something different.  Overall, I like DR Fat Beams a lot and might continue to use them going forward, due to their local availability and lower cost.

I am also intrigued by the DR Pure Blues and Dean Markley Blue Steels (NPS).  More than likely, I will give both of them a go later year.

What is everyone using in 2017?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up