LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help To Spice Up Playing  (Read 4456 times)

Offline musickeys

• LGM Member

Help To Spice Up Playing
« on: June 27, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I have been reading the forums for years but never posted. The thing is I am really missing something. I have been plying since I was young but no matter how much I practice it seems like my playing is just boring. I stay on youtube for hours and use hearandplay GMTC and have used pianoclubhouse. When I study songs I can learn them and most times I'm pretty close to what I go back and see others doing. However, it's like I'm only laying the chords not fillers and all the little pretty inbetweens. Also I'm missing that "churchy" sound. I see people who have been playing far less time come in and make me feel soooooo little. I really want my ears and ability to open up but I don't know where to begin. I don't want to just get chords but I want to learn how to fish for myself. I am open to any suggestions as to what I should be doing or practicing. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Offline jbohonos

• LGM Member

Re: Help To Spice Up Playing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:26 PM »
Hmmm. Do you ever record yourself playing in church and listen back? My guess is with the time you are putting in you are probably doing better than you give yourself credit for.

Do you ever practice by just riffing over changes? It sounds like you have a very structured practice approach wich is great for learning songs. But spending time just riffing and being creative might be refreshing. I sometimes like to riff as part of my devotional time... Basically a musical prayer. That time just noodling and being expensive helps me to develop my voice on my instrument.

Keep up the good work!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Help To Spice Up Playing
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:56:11 AM »
The key to opening up your playing is SCALES. You can play all the chords you want, but be a complete musician, you need to incorporate scales. In your practice time, look up information about help with scales in gospel music on youtube.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up