LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need help w/chords  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ywain

• LGM Member

need help w/chords
« on: November 11, 2003, 12:02:46 PM »
i'm new to this site. i've seen chords displayed on this site, but i need a little explanation. D/A-C-E, is this to read a D in the bass with the with the A minor chord in the right hand, or a D chord in the left hand with a minor chord in the right hand?

Offline NeeOne

• LGM Member
    • http://

For what it's worth!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 08:07:57 PM »
If it helps you any, (and I'm no expert !!) I think it's D (single note) in the left hand and the a minor chord in the right!  I do think the directives in the chord postings should be a little more specific myself!!  Hope that helps! :wink:

Offline Long Fingers

• LGM Member

Re: need help w/chords
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 08:36:26 AM »
Quote from: ywain
i'm new to this site. i've seen chords displayed on this site, but i need a little explanation. D/A-C-E, is this to read a D in the bass with the with the A minor chord in the right hand, or a D chord in the left hand with a minor chord in the right hand?

First off...welcome to the board!  So you're confused about the chords...it can be hard if the poster doesn't have a legend to tell you how to read, but many people do post that towards the beginning, so try to look for it. So here are some ways people post:

~ such and such: C

that's a chord notation/symbol and you would play it like this, play the C chord in your right and play the root, C, in your left hand as well.

~ such and such: C/A

that's a slash chord if you're reading a fake book or off the top of sheet music, you would read it and play it like this...whatever is to the left is the chord you play in your right hand, and what's to the right of the slash is what you play as your bass note in your left hand.

Now some posters use it the opposite way, but they'll note it.

~ such and such: CEG or C,E,G

that means the you play the notes together...they make up a chord (again look for what the poster makes note of before they type out the whole song...they should have a legend that says this)

~ such and such: C,E,G or C-E-G

means you play the notes separetely. The poster may have noted this see if they did...because people post differently.

~ DA/ GM7

means you'd play the notes that's to the left of the slash together in your left hand, and what's the right of the slash is the chord you'd play in your right. That's also called a polychord or superimposed chord.

Now some posts have a legend, but when you play it, it doesn't sound right, if so, then maybe you should try this...

some might have:

rh (right hand) / lh (left hand)

but when you're playing your notes like that, it doen't sound right...so just do the opposite, play whatever they have in the right hand with your left and vice versa.

Offline johncomo

• LGM Member

need help w/chords
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 09:31:14 AM »
That was an awesome explanation Long Fingers... that helps alot.

God Bless.
johncomo
Pages: [1]   Go Up