LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard disk recorders  (Read 2911 times)

Hard disk recorders
« on: August 01, 2005, 02:33:24 PM »
Whats the best hard disk recorder (seperate from the computer)? I have used Roland 2480, Tascam 2488, and the Alesis HD24.

Offline musmin7

• LGM Member
  • Minister Burton Pryor
    • Musmin7 youtube page

digital recorders
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 04:21:56 PM »
hey west side,

first of all I went to your site and checked it out very nice.
in your list of equipment I didn't see what type of mics you use to record with just curious that's one of the most inportant pieces in the chain you should list them.
or are you recording everything directly from the boards to the recorder except the drums I saw the drum mics.

any way as far as HDRs are you using it mainly in the studio or did you want to use it on location?

I use a fostex vf160 and I have been very satisfied with the work it's done I purchased it for the price point but really was pleased more than I thought after using the unit I use it every week to record worship service and produce the churches raido broadcast I use it in my home studio to do my own recording and have had no prob with it I've owned it for over a year and use it constantly sometimes not turning it off for a couple of days. if you'er looking for somthing to suppliment what you already have maby you should check one out. I usually mix and burn on the vf160 the master on the pc with soundforge. so the pc is a large part of my production process.

any way  pray this helps the vf is not the best HDR out and I know that was the question but it depends on what you want to do with it.
be blessed
Walk with the King and be a Blessing
Musmin7

Offline CurtisCross

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

roland vs2480
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 05:35:27 PM »
the vs2480 is the best hard dick recorder hands down. You can record 16 tracks sim. and the edits are easy to use. Copy and paste are simple.  For more questions email me curtiscross@aol.com   . My studio is built around the vs2480. I use protools but the 2480 is my main board."because you can lay tracks on the 2480 and exprt them out to and recording system" for an example lay tracks on your 2480 and get someone else to master them in protools or cakewalk. email me for questions or any recording tips.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Hard disk recorders
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 09:05:51 PM »
I don't know. I'm still up in the air.

I've been eyeing the 2480 for a while, and like Curtis, I've heard good review of it from some people in the recording business....but the Akai DPS 24, also shines through the pack too. I'd even dare to say that it's better than the VS2480.

So you can see my dilemma...I really want a hard disk recorder, but I don't know which I want to buy. If I don't get a hard disk recorder, I'll get the Tascam FW-1884, because even though it comes with Cubase, you can use it with ProTools too, so for 1k. It's not a bad deal.

The Tascam FW-1884, is software-based. It has 4 MIDI I/O as opposed to the VS2480 only having one. The Akai DPS 24, has 12 XLR inputs, and supports 12 96khz tracks, while the 2480 only has 8 XLR inputs and supports four 96khz tracks (maybe 8).

Also, the AKAI has a lot more effects built-in and has more features. Now that I think about it, I'm almost certain that I'm not considering the 2480 anymore. It's between the DPS24 and the FW-1884 for me, only because of the ProTools compatibility.

AKAI: http://www.akaipro.com/productsDPS24.html
AKAI reviews:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Akai/DPS24-1.html

TASCAM: http://www.tascam.com/Products/FW-1884.html

Re: digital recorders
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 01:51:35 PM »
Quote from: musmin7
hey west side,

first of all I went to your site and checked it out very nice.
in your list of equipment I didn't see what type of mics you use to record with just curious that's one of the most inportant pieces in the chain you should list them.
or are you recording everything directly from the boards to the recorder except the drums I saw the drum mics.

any way as far as HDRs are you using it mainly in the studio or did you want to use it on location?

I use a fostex vf160 and I have been very satisfied with the work it's done I purchased it for the price point but really was pleased more than I thought after using the unit I use it every week to record worship service and produce the churches raido broadcast I use it in my home studio to do my own recording and have had no prob with it I've owned it for over a year and use it constantly sometimes not turning it off for a couple of days. if you'er looking for somthing to suppliment what you already have maby you should check one out. I usually mix and burn on the vf160 the master on the pc with soundforge. so the pc is a large part of my production process.

any way  pray this helps the vf is not the best HDR out and I know that was the question but it depends on what you want to do with it.
be blessed

I haven't really updated my web site in 6 months but I really need to do that...

I use Shure and Global Audio mics, but I haven't done a whole lot of vocal recording.

I use the recorders on location (my church and my home) and I mix the tracks on computer. I have a Tascam multitrack recorder and have been using that for 1.5 yrs, but just recently I got a 24-track recorder (rack version) that I am in the process of implementing into my existing system.

I wanted the 2480 but they are WAYYYY beyond my price range. I am in school and I have a limited income.

Guess I'll have to hit the pawn shops.
Pages: [1]   Go Up