LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: beginner help please  (Read 1350 times)

Offline ijames34

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

beginner help please
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »
where do I begin?  I don't have a clue but I want to learn to play the keyboard.

Offline Eggs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

beginner help please
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:23:21 PM »
I am learning in this order:

notes
scales
chords
progressions
songs

Theres a lot in each section, but if you can learn all the notes, then you can learn the scales (at least the major scales), and then the chords and progressions.

Use the resources on this site.... and practice all you can!

Hope this helps,

God bless,
Eggs

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

beginner help please
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 03:57:31 PM »
Music starts with your mind, which means music theory. There is no way around it. If you don't have the music theory in your head, then you just gonna be playing by ear, and you won't get very far just playing by ear.

You need to first know every single note on your keyboard.  You should know every single white key and black key anywhere on the keyboard.  

Once you got that, then dive into learning your major scales. There are 15 off them total and you should be able to recite them and their members w/out looking at a keyboard. Then when you get to a keyboard, say each letter of the scale first then play.

Next, move on to your basic chords: major, minor, augmented, diminished
chords. As with the major scales, you should be able to recite them and their members w/out looking at a keyboard. Then when you get to a keyboard, say each member of the chord first then play. This goes for each of the inversions and for every key also.

Next, move on to progressions. I have the progression posts on here so you can look for them by searching. Practice each progression in every key as much as you can.

Once you got a good handle on progressions, then listen to as many CDs as you can and start listening for 2-5-1s and 7-3-6s. Listen for familiar chords that you know and try to play along if you can.

Tips: As you are going through each of the above exercises, pay very close attention to how everything looks and sounds. If someone is playing
a major scale, you should be able to tell by sound if it is indeed a major scale. This goes double for the chords and progressions. You should be able to tell and hear the difference between a major chord in root position and a major chord in 2nd inversion. You should be able to spot a 2-5-1 progression or a 7-3-6 progressions in a song by ear. Like I said before, music starts in the mind so you have to train your mind harder than your fingers.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline lumbebear1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A Merry Heart makes Good Medicine

Re: beginner help please
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 06:55:53 PM »
Quote from: ijames34
where do I begin?  I don't have a clue but I want to learn to play the keyboard.

Start in the learning center. The material in there is priceless.

Offline ijames34

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I appreciate It
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 03:00:22 PM »
Thanks for all your advice.  I really appreciate it.  God Bless You All.

Offline cmusic

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 06:22:59 AM »
I am in definate need of some help learning the keyboard. I am trying to figure out what the best way to learn. by ear or by reading. if by ear, then how do you construct the chords or find them based off of the base note. what are the basic patterns and principals to that?

Offline Mannymonge

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 02:39:47 PM »
Thanks God for this information.  I'm new here as well, and I had the same question.  Now I can begin with my study.  Thanks guys.  God Bless y'all
Manny Monge
Pages: [1]   Go Up