LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who should I listen to?  (Read 2430 times)

Offline scoop

• LGM Member
    • http://

Who should I listen to?
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:57:08 PM »
Praise God Everyone...

I need some advice on male Gospel artists I can listen to around my voice tone. I'm not necessarily a baritone, but I don't have a high voice. I like Shea Norman and Ted from Ted and Sheri.  to work on range, I learn stuff from Fred, J Moss and other guys, but I was wondering are there any guys out there currently who have lower tones.....

I'm in between Tonex and Barry White  :wink:

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Who should I listen to?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:50:42 AM »
Quote from: scoop
Praise God Everyone...

I need some advice on male Gospel artists I can listen to around my voice tone. I'm not necessarily a baritone, but I don't have a high voice. I like Shea Norman and Ted from Ted and Sheri.  to work on range, I learn stuff from Fred, J Moss and other guys, but I was wondering are there any guys out there currently who have lower tones.....

Try Alvin Slaughter.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Hertreaudo

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
Hi,

The last two songs in Gospel Sessions II are pretty deep!

regards

Offline timroy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is love...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 05:09:31 PM »
Frank Sinatra (young). Listen to the clarity and warmth of his voice. He's a baritone and he sings standards so his music is better as a teaching tool in my opinion. All of the artist that you stated are great but you don't want to start trying to match rips and runs with Fred hammond cds until you can pproduce a clear balanced vocal tone. Listen to Luther's greatest hits and some MArvin gaye then work your way up to Fred and John P. Kee style vocalist.
I hope I helped.

Your brother, Tim
Just believe...

Offline allonesound

• LGM Member
  • In God... *Im~So~AmAyZeN*

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 03:19:34 PM »
i thought he was looking for gospel. what does luther have to do with anything? :-\
To get something I've never had.... I have to do something I've never done. *Salvation will pay off*

Offline timroy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is love...

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 03:25:11 PM »
My belive is that music is relative. Many times the lyrical content is what differentiates one musical style from another. So to listen to a great male vocalist is a great male vocalist. Don't consider the lyrics while learning. Consider the musical method. Is the circle of 4ths and 5ths of God or of the devil or are they simply of music?
Just believe...

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:40:28 PM »
My belive is that music is relative. Many times the lyrical content is what differentiates one musical style from another. So to listen to a great male vocalist is a great male vocalist. Don't consider the lyrics while learning. Consider the musical method. Is the circle of 4ths and 5ths of God or of the devil or are they simply of music?

Actually Timroy you are so right! most of your greatest male singers are not in gospel music. To be a great singer,one must learn all that he or she can learn, then, you already know that God is your Pilot, you will be in for the flight of your life! Remember that probably 90% of the male singers came right out of church! Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 10:00:59 AM »
I appreciate everybody's words. It's a little difficult for me to explain exactly what I was looking for. It would be easy if I coyuld sing a song, and you could name people I reminded you of. That's sort of what I was looking for. As for lyrical content and gospel vs. secular... I'm strictly gospel. If that helps clarify things.... please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »
I appreciate everybody's words. It's a little difficult for me to explain exactly what I was looking for. It would be easy if I coyuld sing a song, and you could name people I reminded you of. That's sort of what I was looking for. As for lyrical content and gospel vs. secular... I'm strictly gospel. If that helps clarify things.... please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

That is easy. Email me and I will give you my number to call me and we will get you straight!   Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline LyricTenor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Not ONE Muslim joke!! >:-(

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »
Praise God Everyone...

I've wondered this same thing for quite some time.  My thing is, I've never had any formal training so I don't know what I'm REALLY capable of.

Offline timroy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is love...

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 02:05:06 PM »

Tina Turner (LOL!)
Just believe...

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 03:35:56 PM »
Wow.... Timroy. That's Gawd... I'ma go to the music store RIGHT NOW and grab all the Tina Turner Albums I can find  :D :D :D :D ;D

Offline Juniorisback

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:24:21 AM »
Listen to Kim Burrell, Ella Fitzgerald, The Clark Sisters........

Offline Natasha-praze

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 10:39:24 AM »
Looking at your question I say "LISTEN TO KIM BURRELL"   I maybe  bias because that is a true friend of mine and we have a real close friendship but I really know that you will love her. Enjoy!

Natasha

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »
Michah Stampley
or Darius Brooks

Offline Natasha-praze

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »
Michah Stampley is another friend. He is very talented. He was here in my hometown in La jolla Last week. I really know you will love his music.

Offline timroy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Jesus is love...

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 03:28:27 PM »
Tonex and Barry White? That's about a seven octave range. O.k. somewhere in between there? Perfect. Luther Vandross. Don't listen to secular music? No problem. Bebe or Mavin Winans. Don't like them try Sam Cooke or what's that ****** name? uhh..Al Green. They do gospel. Try Teddy P and the Isley. That's secular but they have great voices in the range I think you're speaking of. Of course the guys you mentioned and Fred and John but there material is for the advanced. You can't approach those two guys style still struugle. You best be on your A or you'll never even understand how they do what they do. Fast and Pray, Brother Tim
Just believe...

Offline drummer_boi23

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 05:11:57 PM »
Praise God Everyone...

[/quote

Alvin Slaughter is you best bet try him out
Strive to make it to the top practise makes perfect if you pray and practice God will lead
Pages: [1]   Go Up