LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Showing up on time  (Read 5789 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Showing up on time
« on: March 29, 2006, 07:49:15 AM »
anyone have chior practice and the members show up on time???
:)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Showing up on time
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:05:20 AM »

that's like being a kid and seeing Santa's reindeer. Just not gonna happen.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 12:20:54 PM »

that's like being a kid and seeing Santa's reindeer. Just not gonna happen.

AMEN BROTHER, AAAAAAAAMEN!!!!!!  Bishop Cole
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline theunit

• LGM Member
  • morning glory

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 03:25:54 PM »
VERY SELDOM DO THEY SHOW UP ON TIME,,,HOWEVER THERE ARE THING YOU CAN DO TO HELP THEM OUT....I REALLY BELIEVR ITS ABOUT RELATIONSHIP..AND HOW TO BUILD THEM...BUILD BETTER RELATIONSHIPS...AND BUILD A BETTER CHOIR
THE UNIT

Offline johncomo

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 06:49:35 PM »
I could tell you how we do it. It came to past that it will never happen and the same members that are always "notoriously" late is always asking why choir pratice never starts "on time". Well, I addressed the choir and told the complainers or haters, if you will, knowing that the cure have not been found as of this writing, for them to plan every week to be to practice from 7:30 to 9:00. Practice will be between that time frame. If songs are on a deadline for a certain date or service, just be ready for "sudden death". For you non-sportsfans that means Overtime....Of coarse we see ourselves in "Sudden Death" many a times including tonight after I finish this writing. they will creep in at 8 and we will roll til 10 period. Practice...coming in late to serve an "On Time God"....go figure.

johncomo

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 07:46:25 AM »
When choir members start showing up on time for rehearsal, Jesus will be around the corner to send us up to Glory!

I am a 22 year old choir director and this is my 8th choir that I've worked with in my lifetime.  From the 5 year old kids to the 60 year old senior, it just will not happen.  My thing that I always have to remember that this is God's ministry, not mine.  If it were my ministry, people would get sat down for not showing up on time.  You also have to remember that most of the time you are dealing with working people, or students, who may have classes or have just gotten off of work, so people get upset, but it's ok.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline mr_c32005

• LGM Member
    • www.nazarethpress.info

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 11:22:01 PM »
.  You also have to remember that most of the time you are dealing with working people, or students, who may have classes or have just gotten off of work, so people get upset, but it's ok.

I agree with what you said, But every choir member has to work until 7. You have some that get off at 3 4 and 5. They should be on time... And what get me the ones that live less than 3 min away from the church are late too..
Hebrews 11:1.
God Bless You..
http://www.myspace.com/c3killa

atwell92

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:03:03 PM »
This has nothing to do with the choir memebers but the director. It was the youth choir singing and a youth got up since she was not there and directed the choir he was doing a good job, then here she comes walking through the side door walking through the altar into the pulpit and into the directors station stands beside the young man and stops the choir. She whispers something in his ear and he goes back to his spot in the choir. Now is that rude or what!

Be Blessed,

RAD

Offline TheClef

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 12:32:14 AM »
My philosophy is to be consistent myself. I make all choirs I work with aware that we will start promptly at a certain time. Every rehearsal, I start at that time, with one person or fifty. What a member misses, is what they miss, and the rhythm of my rehearsals is usually fast enough that members want to get in at the beginning to avoid missing things.

Also, I suggest a live start to rehearsals. I've learned, from trial and error, that if you start slow and work up to a fast, get-things-done pace, people will show up late (there's no reason to be there if the director is warming up his/her directing muscles for the first 15 minutes).

Of course, there are exceptions to the rules, but I preach CONSISTENCY on this subject.

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/mr_engram

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 11:38:55 PM »
My philosophy is to be consistent myself. I make all choirs I work with aware that we will start promptly at a certain time.

I agree with this philosophy. At our church, we pretty much start everything on time, from services to rehearsals, and when people realize that they are not being waited around for, they'll start being on time! You HAVE to be consistent, though.
Romans 1:16

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 11:44:07 AM »
I agree with this philosophy. At our church, we pretty much start everything on time, from services to rehearsals, and when people realize that they are not being waited around for, they'll start being on time! You HAVE to be consistent, though.

And to add to that, you don't go back over the parts; they have to catch up. It's what I used to do, and it worked (or at least folks starting calling and letting me know that they weren't going to be at rehearsal and we'd work out something).

But, consistency is the key.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline praizeHim

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://facebook.com/SistersInSuccess

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »
My philosophy is to be consistent myself. I make all choirs I work with aware that we will start promptly at a certain time. Every rehearsal, I start at that time, with one person or fifty. What a member misses, is what they miss, and the rhythm of my rehearsals is usually fast enough that members want to get in at the beginning to avoid missing things.

Also, I suggest a live start to rehearsals. I've learned, from trial and error, that if you start slow and work up to a fast, get-things-done pace, people will show up late (there's no reason to be there if the director is warming up his/her directing muscles for the first 15 minutes).

Of course, there are exceptions to the rules, but I preach CONSISTENCY on this subject.

Praize God for setting a standard.   Most people in choirs, although highly talented, lack the discipline to insure a quality rehearsal.   :-[

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »

I never had this problem with my choir. They always showed up on time.

When I frist took over the choir, I started on time....if no one was there within the first 5 minutes of rehearsal, I went home. I never waited on anyone. I believe when people see you are seriouse about certain things, they will get serious too.

We practiced on Wednesdays after Bible Study. One of the requirements of being in the choir was you had to attend a Bible Study. My rehearsals were at a convenient time. Those who couldn't make the rehearsal, were those who could not be a part of the music ministry. Come on...I don't go to certain church ministry meetings because it is not at a convenient time, although I would love to be a part of it. I figure it is not my time to be a part of that ministry.

Once, and I do mean ONCE, the entire choir was late for Sunday service...that is all except one person. One by one, when they got there, I told them not to get in the choir stand but sit in the congregation. I let the person who was there on time sing a solo. That was the last time I had that problem.

I believe in teaching people...and I always brought the Word to them and what God expects---Excellence in Ministry. Now, my choir had it's flaw, but timeliness was not an issue.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 01:16:58 PM »
I never had this problem with my choir. They always showed up on time.

They're scared of you....that's why.  I would leave my house an hour early just to stay away from your wrath...
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline TheClef

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 03:26:09 PM »
Agreed...they're just scared. the rest of us aren't that lucky DivaT lol

Offline praizeHim

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://facebook.com/SistersInSuccess

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
Giving the props up to Sis T for what she does

But this is not about a personality, or being askeerd of the MOM or whoever is in charge... It ain't about them

If you fear a person over the fear and admonition of  reverencing  a Most Holy God, (and I know what yall was saying) 

You ain't got it yet!

It's ALL ABOUT the person of God! 

If you're not reflecting that image or making a stand on what will and what won't be tolerated!  Mess shall continue!

God has called me to be a leader -- Not a follower; A soaring Eagle and not a flocking bird  so--

I could care less about what a person thinks of me when I hold up a standard for God.

I don't clique, and don't get into the cliqueky thang! >:(

I don't bow down to virtuosos ... or so called "stars" >:(

If you've got the gift, talent  and ability.... then

BRING IT ON TIME!

the anointing.... well, no matter what people say

God will determine that ?/? ?/? ?/?

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 09:36:15 PM »
They're scared of you....that's why.  I would leave my house an hour early just to stay away from your wrath...

LOL!!  :D

Seriously....I said I TEACH. That means, I teach Gopd expectations, NOT my expectations. And I clearly communicated that they were not serving me but God.

To often we expect people who have been slothful with their service to suddenly change without any teaching. If that is what past leadership has done, they wiill follow suit. YOu must be willing to UNTEACH bad habits and show them what God's Word says about certain behaviors...such as timeliness.

There is no wrath from me....I've always had guidelines & the ENTIRE music ministry had to abide.

Let me throw this in....people will usually pattern themselves behind the leadership. If the Pastor is always late, members will do the same. If the MOM or Music Ministry Leader is slothful---not prepared & always late-- don't expect 100% from those you lead. There is much truth to the expression, "You lead by example."

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 09:46:46 PM »
I could care less about what a person thinks of me when I hold up a standard for God.

I don't clique, and don't get into the cliqueky thang! >:(

I don't bow down to virtuosos ... or so called "stars" >:(

If you've got the gift, talent  and ability.... then

BRING IT ON TIME!

the anointing.... well, no matter what people say

God will determine that ?/? ?/? ?/?

That's what I'm talking about!!! Good points . ;D

I had a sister in the choir who was a good singer, but she thought she was the "premier" singer of the group. She would show up late on Sundays and sneak in the choir stand when I wasn't looking. Each time, I'd send a message telling her to remove herself from the choir stand.

She thought we couldn't go on without her, so she gout out of the choir. Well, the choir began to grow and their singing was worthy of outside invitations.  :D Soon after, she came back, but she knew I wasn't taking no stuff from her.

Choir leaders, you got to take a stand for excellence. It's not about quantity, it's all about QUALITY. However, I do realize that a lot of Choir leaders cannot take a stand for excellence because they too are "SITTING" on the job!

caisza

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 10:11:26 PM »
Amen to that SisterT

I agree with you 100%.  I hate being late, and hate when someone else makes me late.  I get off of work around 5:30pm Mon -Fri and still make it to choir practice on time (6pm).

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2006, 11:22:22 PM »
LOL!!  :D

Seriously....I said I TEACH. That means, I teach Gopd expectations, NOT my expectations.

Is that different from God's expectations¿ ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up